One year ago...

Options
cassical
cassical Member Posts: 12
edited December 2011 in Day to day

Well, it's been almost a year since my little speed bump was discovered and what a rocky and rolly road it's been.

But, with Christmas coming on, it's all over and my hair has started to grow back. In fact, I actually went to the hairdresser to get it cut. Only had a half a centimetre taken off, just to tidy it up, but at least it could be neatened.

It's been three months now since my last treatment. September 16 was the last of the radio, last day of work and my birthday, so was a triple celebration. Funny to think that I worked almost the entire time I was going through treatment, only to finish up work when I finished my treatment.

I've been back for my follow-up surgical review. Nothing much happened, except to get a request to go back in 3 months for a follow up mammogram.

My fingers are still stiff, my finger tips are still weird feeling - almost like pins and needles, but not quite. But, I'm back to walking 3kms a day - almost every day of the week. Doing some weights, trying other exercise as well and feeling stronger and more confident every day.

I'm looking forward to Christmas which is being spent in the remote outback of Western Australia - up in a little community called Kalumburu - with my partner on the beach. Look it up if you want to - not much there, but just what I need.

So, merry Christmas everyone. Good luck and stay strong to all of you reading this.

Carol

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done on the haircut.  I have been finished chemo for 6 months and my hair is very thick but no length.  It is very curly so I am waiting for it to "drop".  I am off to the hairdresser's on Monday for a colour in time for Xmas.  I am hoping that the girls are in for some fun and will have a "go" at my hair.  My fingers are still very stiff as well as the sore feet but I am still here.  It will be 12 months on 20th Dec that I found out that I had seondaries in my lymph nodes.  It has been a long hard year.  I actually had a massage today - with a new lady.  She found a golf ball sized lump in my back.  Hell here it goes again I thought.  Off to the GP who couldn't find anything - will keep an eye on it though.  I will look up Kalumburu - sounds very peaceful.  Enjoy your time there.  We are off to Brisbane to spend time with my family - three littlies included.  Merry Xmas to you and happy fishing!!! XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done on the haircut.  I have been finished chemo for 6 months and my hair is very thick but no length.  It is very curly so I am waiting for it to "drop".  I am off to the hairdresser's on Monday for a colour in time for Xmas.  I am hoping that the girls are in for some fun and will have a "go" at my hair.  My fingers are still very stiff as well as the sore feet but I am still here.  It will be 12 months on 20th Dec that I found out that I had seondaries in my lymph nodes.  It has been a long hard year.  I actually had a massage today - with a new lady.  She found a golf ball sized lump in my back.  Hell here it goes again I thought.  Off to the GP who couldn't find anything - will keep an eye on it though.  I will look up Kalumburu - sounds very peaceful.  Enjoy your time there.  We are off to Brisbane to spend time with my family - three littlies included.  Merry Xmas to you and happy fishing!!! XLeonie

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Carol, good to hear things are going well for you & a big yay for hair growth & haircut. Mine is also growing back & I have even had it coloured. I am also gaining my strength & have joined a gym. It certainly feels good to have some kind of fitness back hey. It sounds like a lovely place that you are spending Chrismas at. . .enjoy! Wishing you a very merry Christmas.

Loretta xx

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Carol, you should feel so proud of yourself .  I think you and both ladies above need a well deserved pat on the back for everything you have had to go through to try and combat this dreaded disease.  Im only at 6mths and feel so lucky that i still have my hair and know i  will definitely be making the milestone you ladies have made.( Good luck to Leonie with the large lump in your back, Fingers are crossed for you and i think it is time for you to be  spared any more bad news ).

I will have to look up this little remote outback place of Western Australia called Kalumburu. As i live in Perth and have lived up North in earlier years it's good to know where we can find our little secluded places.  Hope you enjoy your holiday escape and i wish everyone a very merry xmas and a healthy new year. All the best..............Cheers Jo xx