Post DCIS

Options
Louise64
Louise64 Member Posts: 112
Hi all- I’ve been going well after surgery July, radiotherapy had nasty burns after treatment so after surgery and radiation.. and COVID to move interstate closer to daughter and grandson.
I had last 6 months off teaching -and  just started new role 1st Feb in ACT  . Sold then bought new home,flew day before Brisbane lockdown so quarantined 4 days. Lived in hotel 8 weeks while also starting new job... longer story short.....I’m tired , expectations high and I’m just sore and exhausted. Feeling isolated. Contacted breast screen here yesterday and was so lovely to hear supportive voice of BCN.

My dilemma now is do I tell principal -as even my friends don’t know what I’ve been through - my mum died of breast cancer so knew responses that happen- only told my sister right up to post surgery . 

I hate feeling like a failure to my class at new school  now. As WAS good with behaviour management so have quite a few tricky kids... Catch 22 - as don’t want them to think I’m making excuses- but student behaviour, change of state,  IT and state policies/ procedures... a few challenges. Sorry for sooking but any advice ... especially if you are a principal?? Do I wait until end of term or duck it up ... DCIS  😢
Tagged:

Comments

• Louise64
    Options
    #suck it up .. not duck.. I’m ducking for cover at the moment.., 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I was a Manager with breast cancer - and I told my staff right from diagnosis. But a lot depends on what you want - I wanted business as usual, as I continued working, but with the caveat that they had to let me know of signs of chemo brain, which happily didn’t happen. But packing up a house, moving interstate, camping out in a hotel - these are stressful without bc. And then you throw COVID in the mix. If you think you can keep your focus and preserve your privacy, then at least give yourself till the end of term. But if you need some supportive understanding or some leeway with responsibilities, then best to tell your principal but set the tone of the conversation by knowing just what you want from the discussion and whether you need that discussion to be confidential. Best wishes either way. Best 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I agree you’ve had an extremely stressful time. That’s a major move, it would tire and overwhelm even the strongest and healthiest, and you’re also dealing with bc at the same time. You haven’t even recovered fully from radiation yet. I think maybe tell your principal now, to alleviate your load. Teaching is hard, in a new school even harder. I used to get anxiety just from having a few new students in my class. So do what you need to help your situation, but as it was mentioned above, know what you want from the discussion and ask for it to be kept confidential if that’s important to you. 
    You’re not a failure, and you’re not sooking. You’ve been through hell, so you need to take it easy, and this page is meant for venting and seeking advice ♥️
  • Louise64
    Options
    Thank you - I took Friday off to reset so Will soldier on next 3 weeks. Reassess on holidays and get my bearings. Definitely would be confidential - not looking for excuse just providing context . 🤗
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It's hard to give advice when you don't know the players but I think that I would be telling the Principal but asking for confidentiality.  That way, someone knows what's going on and that you have more on your plate than what is obvious.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I probably wouldn't say too much about it for the moment. If you do find yourself in a position that you are being asked to explain poor performance in a formal situation, sure, it could be a contributing factor so needs to be discussed.
    Remember we are generally out own worst enemies and harshest critics. You have a identifiable 'point' in front of you--the end of term--which is the sort of thing I find easier to manage. Eat the elephant one bite at a time.
    It takes a while to figure out the dynamics of any work place and to identify potential allies or foes. Take whatever time is reasonably available to you. MXX
  • Louise64
    Options
    Found out bit more about dynamics at school- definitely won’t be saying anything. Digging my heels in and joined union. So exhausting dealing with this ... all my follow up appointments -as 6 months since treatment- I specifically booked on holidays.
    im a Queenslander- time to toughen up 👍
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you've found yourself in a school like that @louise64 Schools, like many workplaces, can be really supportive or really not.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    What a bummer @Louise64 😕. Hope joining the union helps you get your rights back and eases things for you at work 🤞