Need advice on side effects

Options
Sunnii
Sunnii Member Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with her2 positive breast cancer on the 9th Dec 2020, Started Chemotherapy on 11th Jan 2021. Had my second session of chemo yesterday 1st feb.  all went well until I got home. Both of my feet and ankles swelled up, tried calling chemo nurse but unfortunately they all had gone home for the day! Wasn’t sure what to do as I’ve never had swollen feet before ever. Read a few things online but sometimes that info scares me more. All I could find out was to raise my legs and try to sleep on my side. I’m hoping someone could help me with the right information and what more can I do to relieve the swelling, it hurts to walk. 
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    "Managing symptoms and side effects | Breast Cancer Network Australia" https://www.bcna.org.au/metastatic-breast-cancer/managing-symptoms-and-side-effects/

The link above speaks of swelling

Take care
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Sunnii Ring the onco nurses at the place you had the chemo. They work 24/7 and are great at answering onco questions
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Elevate your feet- you could try ringing the cancer council hotline.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Dear Sunnii,
    Weren't you given a phone number for after hours problems?
    My Chemo suite was part of a hospital but separate. I was told to ring the hospital.
    Were you given written information re your particular Chemo?
    A reliable site is Evi Q
    I was given  this information by my Oncologist. Look up EviQ and your Chemo drug name.
    It should tell you the side effects, and which ones are serious or urgent
    Ring the Chemo suite in the morning, and after that ask what you should make sure they give you information 
    for where to get help after hours.
    All the best, hope your swollen ankles and feet are better soon.

• Sunnii
    Sunnii Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Options
    Dear Abbydog,
    Thank you for your reply, it was a great help. Ended up calling the emergency department at the hospital as the swelling went all the way up to my knees. They told me it was because they gave me 2 litres of fluids that day of chemo in a 3 hour timeframe, and my body retained the fluid. so in the end I had to get compression socks and medication from GP the next day. It is slowly helping but still quite sore to walk around. 
    Also I’ve now got all the after hours numbers for chemo nurses and oncologist.

Thank you once again
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    That’s good to hear. I hope that you don’t have any nasty side effects, but at least you have the contacts now. 
  • CarrieP
    CarrieP Member Posts: 39
    Options
    @Sunnii - glad you were able to contact someone, hope you are feeling better today x