Searching for a Gladstone QLD group

Nigglesnush
Nigglesnush Member Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2020 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone.  I've just found out Friday that I've got breast cancer.  Haven't told my eldest son yet because he's away, so I can't ask on Facebook or he'll see it.   I'm trying to get recommendations from people in my own city for who to go to for surgery.  My GP told me to do my own research.  I'm in Gladstone, Queensland.  Can I ask here?  Maybe someone here knows of a Gladstone QLD group?  Or is from my city and can give me advice?

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Hello @Nigglesnush
    Sorry about your diagnosis. I think this is a great place to ask for a recommendation. 
    I’m not from Qld, but there are lots of ladies here who are, who I’m sure will be able to help you. 
    Good luck with everything! ❤️
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,267
    Sorry about your diagnosis. What a shock. Glad you have joined this group. I am not from Gladstone but sure your GP can recommend a surgeon. Seems strange they ask you to do your own research. Maybe see what is on the AMA website or Google reviews for breast surgeons.  I never put anything in FB about my breast cancer and I chose very carefully who I disclosed this diagnosis to. It is important to share your breast cancer journey with supportive people. It is so much to go through. Some people I told were great and others I never heard form.  Good luck with your find for a surgeon. 
  • Nigglesnush
    Nigglesnush Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks ladies.  The GP said I could go private or public, Brisbane etc.  I asked if there was anyone local and she said no.  She said there were surgeons in Rocky who were interested in breast surgery, but that didn't sound like they necessarily were knowledgeable at it.  She was very urgent about me getting surgery booked in and I said Wesley in Brisbane sounded good, so she sent my referral off by fax.  But I found out later Friday after I called them that she'd sent it to a breast testing clinic, not the hospital, and addressed it to "dear breast surgeon", and she'd need it addressed to a particular surgeon.  So I've lost some faith in her.  She rang me to see if I'd heard from the surgeon's clinic (She cares, so that's good) and I told her what I'd been told.  That's when she told me to do my own research and choose  a surgeon.  I haven't had any luck finding advice over the weekend, so I'm now planning on ringing Dr Kate Stringer's clinic at 8am to see when she might be able to get me in.  Have no idea what it's going to cost, so hopefully I'll not be blowing my family's savings with this without needing to.  I found there's a McGrath Breast Care Nurse in Gladstone that would be perfect to talk to, but she's on leave until mid December.  Sigh.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Nigglesnush sorry to hear of your breast cancer diagnosis.   You could call our helpline on 1800 500 258 to speak with an experience cancer nurse who can provide some guidance.  You could also call Cancer Council Queensland on
    13 11 20 as they have a helpline and cancer nurses.  They would be able to provide local information and support.  Is you local GP able to help guide you?