Friday Update 21st August 2020
Welcome to our Friday update and a very warm welcome to all of our 94 new members who have come on board in the last month. We hope you are settling in and finding you way around.
Some interesting online community stats from last month. There were 87 new online discussions commenced with a total of 960 comments made. The average response time (this is the time before a post receives a comment) was 1 hour and 50 minutes and there were 82,607 page views. We have lots of members coming online and reading posts, gaining information and support.
The following categories are available and have many discussions that you may be interested in viewing, you can also use the Popular TAGS section on the right hand side of the screen to view past discussions.
- Covid-19 – Sponsored by Red Energy
- Now what? The highs and lows of survivorship
- Online community info –
- This category has the latest community guidelines and information for navigating the online network
- Newly diagnosed
- Metastatic breast cancer
- Tests, treatments and side effects
- Health and well-being
- Day to day
- Supporting someone with breast cancer
- Community news and events
Community newsEach fortnight we have many new discussions in the online network, here are some discussions which you may like to read
BCNA have a podcast library which includes 23 podcasts. Don’t forget to go into this section and have a listen to some of our recent podcasts.
We also have webinars, our most recent webinar was titled ‘The psychological impact of a diagnosis of early breast cancer’ and had some great feedback from our members.
In this webcast Dr Charlotte Tottman, Clinical Psychologist delved deeper into understanding the challenges faced, and the strategies to help support those affected by a diagnosis of early breast cancer.
Encore Exercise Program Western Australia
Helping you restore mobility, flexibility and confidence through exercise.
Join us for a free 8 week exercise program for people recovering from breast cancer treatment. To obtain your pack or make enquiries contact Robyn at the YWCA Australia (Perth):
Phone: 6117 9939
FREECALL 1800 305 150
Email: [email protected] or start your enrolment online: www.ywcaencore.org.au
will be as follows: Metro
- Riverton Leisureplex Corner High and Riley Roads,
- Riverton Friday 16th October - 4th December 12.00—2.00 pm
- Wanneroo Aquamotion Civic Drive Wanneroo
- Thursday 15th October – 3rd December 5.45—7.45
- Rockingham Aqua-jetty (Warnbro) 87 Warnbro Sound Ave, Warnbro
- Friday 16th October - 4th December 12.00—2.00
- Balga Leisurepark Cnr Princess Road and Balga Ave, Balga
- Tuesday 13th October - 1st December 1.30—3.30
- Busselton, Geographe Leisure Centre Recreation Lane, West Busselton
- Friday 16th October– 4th December 11.30—1.30
- Geraldton, Holland Street School Thursday 15th October-3rd December 4.30—6.30
- Albany; to be advised.
Think Pink (Victoria only)
Think pink is expanding its range of support groups and is excited to announce the launch of a ‘Young women’s metastatic support group’ commencing in August. The group is specifically designed for women living with metastatic breast cancer under the age of 50 and will meet regularly via Zoom.
Title: Young Women’s Metastatic Support Group
Date: Wednesday 26 August 2020
Time: 7 pm to 8.30 pm
BCNA Face Masks now available
Breast Cancer Network Australia face masks are now available for a limited time, pre-order period until August 31.
As we embrace our 'new normal' of wearing face masks (currently mandatory in Victoria) BCNA has received many requests from both members and partners wishing to purchase pink BCNA face masks to visually support all Australians affected by breast cancer. The BCNA masks are a one size fits most, triple layer, washable fabric face mask with filter included and fully adjustable elastic strapping for $15 each.
If you would like to order, enter your details via this pre-sale store link by August 31
‘You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.’
C. S. Lewis
Enjoy your weekend everyone,
The mod team
Giovanna, Riki, Laura, Michelle & Pat