Breast Reconstruction via Public Health System

Options
Sweets
Sweets Member Posts: 8
I have had a bilateral mastectomy back in April and since completed radiation therapy. 

I wanted to go on the waitlist for a breast reconstruction through the public health system.

My GP referral was rejected by the public hospital on the basis that my BMI was too high. Apparently my BMI is 44 but the requirement is a BMI of under 33.

Does anyone know any way around this so my reconstruction can be done at the public hospital? 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Can you request to go on the waitlist and work with a dietitian to lose weight. My sister needed to do this to have a knee reconstruction. I believe hers only needed to be under 35.
  • Sweets
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. I did ask my GP about going on the waitlist while I try to get my BMI down. She said the hospital won't accept that and their advice to her was to refer me back after I've got my BMI down to the required range.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    That's a blow, @sweets. Losing weight is never easy, particularly at a time when many of us are stacking it on. 

Stick with the experts: hopefully a good dietitian can give you some good advice on what might work for you. Good luck and keep your eye on the prize, a nice new set of foobs. Mxx
  • Sweets
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement, really appreciate it x