berry.oconnor
berry.oconnor Member Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Everyone

My name is Karen and I was diagnosed with BC in July. I have had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed. I have had 4 cycles of TAC and have coped quite well considering. Emotionally though I am feeling really low. I have great support but would love to touch base with people who are going through this as well. I have tried so hard to be positive but at the moment it just seems so difficult. I have two more cycles of chemo before Christmas, the last one being the 23rd Dec and then 6 weeks of radiotherapy in January.

Do support groups and counselling help?

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Welcome to this site where you won't feel so alone and there's always someone to chat with.Sometimes we stay brave and hold it together while we are having surgery /treatment and then fall apart afterwards.I know I didn't shed a tear until I had to sign the chemo consent form and then I broke down into a blubbery mess.You don't have to be positive all the time -give yourself permission to cry or wallow in it for awhile.You are on powerful chemo drugs that mess with your head don't forget. Counselling would be helpful and so would a support group.You know I think I'd be down if I was having chemo on the 23rd Dec.so close to xmas.But then you will feel better by new year and can celebrate.Radiation isn't anywhere near as hard as chemo.Just jump back on here and blog,you'll find that it really helps.

Tonya xx

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015

Just a quick word about support groups. I was keen to join my local one while I was having chemo and went along a few times but found I didn't really enjoy it too structured for me and a lot of older ladies who have obviously been going for many years. However I found a couple of great ladies on this blog site and now meet them every 2 weeks we alternate with pancakes on the deck at 1030am and cold beer or wine at 5pm at a local Bowls club our group has slowly grown and we are now an official bcna group too! We talk about anything not always BC, it has been the best support and have made some great friends. I also joined my local Dragon boat club and am now an ardent paddler, it has also helped my fitness and my arm (had 12 nodes out with my mastectomy July 2010). It is so reassuring to meet ladies who are 5,7,10 and even 22 years down the track after their BC experience. So check out your local area you just never know what o who is out there!

Good luck

Sarah x

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015

Just a quick word about support groups. I was keen to join my local one while I was having chemo and went along a few times but found I didn't really enjoy it too structured for me and a lot of older ladies who have obviously been going for many years. However I found a couple of great ladies on this blog site and now meet them every 2 weeks we alternate with pancakes on the deck at 1030am and cold beer or wine at 5pm at a local Bowls club our group has slowly grown and we are now an official bcna group too! We talk about anything not always BC, it has been the best support and have made some great friends. I also joined my local Dragon boat club and am now an ardent paddler, it has also helped my fitness and my arm (had 12 nodes out with my mastectomy July 2010). It is so reassuring to meet ladies who are 5,7,10 and even 22 years down the track after their BC experience. So check out your local area you just never know what o who is out there!

Good luck

Sarah x

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

HI karen, what you are feeling is normal. Your body has gone through some heavy stuff in the past few months.    As Tonya said you don't need to be positive all the time, but just know in the back of your mind that although things are unfair at the moment you will be ok in the end. 

Counseling and sites like this one are very helpful in making you feel that people really care. You will find that there are some really lovely ladies on here that have had the pain and suffering just like you. People do understand what you are feeling, and no one judges anyone.  Dont worry about radiation, you will be fine. You may get  some skin irritation towards the end  and you may not , but hey you are having chemo and there is not much worse than that and you are surviving that. Good luck with your journey.

Cheers Jo xx

• berry.oconnor
    berry.oconnor Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies

Thank you so much for your responses. I was having a really bad day yesterday but already today I feel much better reading your posts.

Karen

• pennyb
    pennyb Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the site, I have found it so invaluable for me, the ladies are so wonderful, always ready for advice and words of encouragement.
    Just reading through the other posts will help, inspire and show you how brave all of us are.
    Good luck with the rest of your treatment and welcome again.
    Love Penny xx
  • pennyb
    pennyb Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the site, I have found it so invaluable for me, the ladies are so wonderful, always ready for advice and words of encouragement.
    Just reading through the other posts will help, inspire and show you how brave all of us are.
    Good luck with the rest of your treatment and welcome again.
    Love Penny xx