Kiddy corner

Options
I went for my three year oncology check up today and got bumped to a woman who introduced herself as 'one of the oncologists' who was seeing me because my regular was running late.

Now, I don't mind seeing registrars who are not fully qualified. I get it. But this one didn't bother to explain her position. It took me all of thirty seconds to figure her out, but WTAF?

So, I wanted to discuss Enobosarm as a possible option for me if I can't bear to go more than five years on AI treatment and my bone density keeps declining.  I wanted to talk about the current trials and how that might play out for me in the future.

I have agreed to stick with the dread Exmesetane for as long as I can, and wasn't asking to be prescribed the drug now, so her reaction kicked me straight back into my battle undies.   Rather than admit that she didn't know about the drug or the trials, this little chippy who hadn't even read my file ***" Why have you not been having mammograms?' 'I don't have any tits.'*** She starts in about how patients like me who Dr Google are fools and I should leave my treatment to the professionals.

I then told her who I work for and dropped a couple of names of people who had suggested I keep an eye on those trials which produced stunned silence and defensive bluster. Then she decided to examine me.

So I farted on her as soon as she laid a hand on me  asked to see the grown up. Please. Old dogs and all, hey?

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Be grateful she told you her name. I bumped a surgeon (well, probably) who couldn’t be bothered providing his name, or reading my file. Along with general rudeness and ‘I’m busy’ stuff - changed my appointment time at really short notice then kept me waiting 30 mins while overtly having a cup of tea. According to my daughter, we are part of a growing cohort of women of a certain age who just won’t put up with this sort of stuff from so-called professionals any more. Keep up the good work! 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    "Well, probably" @Afraser. That's it, isn't it? Are these people the cleaners who have decided to live the dream? God knows, cause they could be for all they tell us half the time
    I had a new nurse who couldn't use a manual sphygmomanometer as well. I'll forgive her because she admitted it straight out. Going through the process a couple of times brought my BP down to just below immediate incarceration. White coat syndrome: I wonder why?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    To be fair, I’ve had more good experiences than bad. But if so many can be pleasant, friendly, listen and respond as helpfully as possible in the circumstances, what’s wrong with the rest? After I dumped this unpleasant man, I went to a new clinic, nice staff, two consummately professional professionals (anaesthetist and surgeon), was a happy camper and told my referring GP so, for future reference. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Some don't even know that it is called a sphygmomanometer!  Some don't even know how many bones are in the human body!  Some would be lost without their computer as they use it to key in symptoms we describe.  Just so much paperwork these days and little time left to study and keep up to date with so many diseases and illnesses these days.  We just about have to be our own doctors!  
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @Zoffiel Sorry. I laughed. I pictured the whole scenario. Just to add insult, I am sending you a great big hug. I hope work is treating you well. You may see my daughter with her ten students as they want to come visit the court and do the whole role play thing.