Miracle Fruit

Options
maddi
maddi Member Posts: 7
Has anyone going through chemo tried the Miracle Fruit stuff seen on SBS?

Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    When I lost my taste buds on Taxol, I didn’t much care if things tasted sweet or sour, as long as they tasted of something! Worth trying anything if your taste is affected, just don’t expect too much! 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    I’d say any food/fruit that you can get past your tongue during chemo is a miracle!!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    The only miracle fruit I had during chemo was frozen fresh pineapple. Brilliant.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @maddi and others, What is this 'miracle fruit' about? Christmas is the only time of the year that I eat a lot of fruit. I have been feasting on grapes, rockmelon, mangoes and watermelon. Pink Lady apples I eat throughout the year. Oranges are too hit and miss.  My dear mother in law is into blueberries;  but I think they are a bit of a swizz - tasteless little bullets.
  • Karenp23
    Karenp23 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    The fruit they are talking about is actually called "miracle berry," (Synsepalum dulcificum) . It's little red berry fruit that changes your taste receptors temporarily like for an hour or so. What ever you eat will have a sweeter taste to it, especially if sour or bitter. My work colleague had this tree in his yard and gave me some to try as my taste changed during chemo had that bitter metallic taste to most things. I tried this berry before eating and just gave a sweeter tinge to what I ate. So it's not a "miracle" cure as such for cancer patients something to help make food more tolerable to eat and variety not limited to certain foods while you on chemo.