Port Pain

Options
MattyBoy
MattyBoy Member Posts: 10
edited November 2019 in General discussion
Hi all, I had a port put in almost three weeks ago. In the last couple of days I’m getting pain in the area. It’s very tender to touch, and when I move my arm, chest, shoulder I get a painful pulling/moving sensation. I’m visualising it flexing or something. Hard to describe but something isn’t right. No redness.
Spoke to my surgeon today, he’s a little unsure why this would be happening said possible there may be fluid under it. I have chemo in the morning and will pop in to see him after that.  Just wondering if anyone’s had a  similar experience?
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yep. My port site is still sore nearly 18 months after I had it removed. As long as yours is still patent and not leaking, there is not much that can go clinically wrong, but our bodies can get cranky at the intruders .
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    I can't say I had pain in my port site but I did have pinching, discomfort from time to time.
    Also the skin over it was slightly reddened from day one but that has now disappeared as I had it taken out in late August.  The chemo nurses always checked mine and said it was fine, one of the ladies I had chemo with did have a lot of pain and they gave her some sort of cream which she said helped. 
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    MattyBoy, 8yrs ago I had a port put below my right shoulder. I have Herceptin infusions every three weeks and have never experienced discomfort or pain. Just letting you know that your discomfort is not 'normal'. Hope that your surgeon takes action to make life a bit easier. Best wishes.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Mine took ages to settle down and always felt like a foreign object but it didn't get worse.  It was more that it felt kind of heavy and was uncomfortable if I lay on that side (mastectomy was on the other side so I slept on my back for months!).  I hope your doc can do something to get rid of the pain.
  • MattyBoy
    MattyBoy Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Update -  pain continued to get worse and became constant.  I had port revision surgery last week where the stitches holding the port in place in 3 places were cut.  Oh what a relief.  No pain now at all and port fully functional.  Happy camper now. :)

• Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    @MattyBoy - that is great news, so happy you have relief at last!