Elevated Alk Phos Test

What do you do when you have routine blood tests for type 2 Diabetes and your Alk Phos Test comes back rising? 

My GP says this usually happens when there are issues with bones or liver ( especially having had breast cancer). 

I am having trouble coping with this news and keeping it to myself and waiting for test to be run again in three weeks. 

Thanks for listening. Michelle

Comments

• Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    @Michelle_W hi there, I just wanted to say try your best to chill, and not become too wound up till you have the full facts. I had a “routine” blood test during chemotherapy and was told my potassium was so high they were going to give me meds to drop it down. They held up giving my infusion then my husband asked if they checked if it was always up, they had not checked and when they did it was always within the right levels. 
    Long and short, they ran the test again 2 hours later and it was smack bang where it should be. I was so relieved they didn’t just medicate to remove it. 
    Turns out a slow running test somehow alters the numbers.
    I’m sending you big hugs and best wishes xx
  • Michelle_W
    Michelle_W Member Posts: 54
    Thanks Shakalker, just harder this time in that I didn’t find this issue, it has found me! 

Almost seven years since diagnosis! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Mine has been slightly raised just about every test during and since treatment. They believe mine is from arthritis and nothing more. I've had bone scans for other reasons and its not related to mets. All other liver enzymes are normal.