Hello and a question

Options
Mousie
Mousie Member Posts: 14
edited August 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hello everyone. I was recently diagnosed and have been reading this forum regularly and learned a lot. I am having breast conserving surgery on Wednesday. The lump is on the side back of my breast not far from the arm pit and the surgeon said that he may well only require one incision. My question is about bras post surgery and beyond. I am a large breasted lady and I have always worn bras with wires. I am always happy to spend a reasonable amount on them in order to give me enough support, be ant wiggle and a good shape. I realise rhat my current bra will not work due to the seams and the wires do I bought a cheaply pair from target. These don’t fit well and I would not like to wear them out of the house. Do you lovely ladies have any recommendations.?
Mousie
Tagged:

Comments

• Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi

If you have access to a cancer nurse or someone from your oncologist team, ask them about the free bra supplied by Berlei it is very soft material and still quite supportive with no wires.
    I know that most of Bras and Things have post operative bras , but your cancer nurse can measure you for the correct fit which changes after surgery, ( swelling and bruising ) .

Personally I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction  but I couldn't stand anything tight or rubbing for about a month afterwards , but since I have no boos I forgo the bra now.

Good luck .
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I may be wrong in your case but many women (including me) had never had a proper bra fitting with a professional prior to bc. I used the same underwire bra after a mastectomy (no problem with scar line, no bruising etc) but was amazed when I consulted a professional fitter for a prosthesis to find a bra with no underwire (and a prosthesis pocket!) which fitted perfectly and supported well (E cup). May be worth consultation, if you are located where such can be found, and worth the trouble. Best wishes. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Finding bras without underwire for a larger bust can be challenging. There are some decent post-surgery bras available online.

A few links to start with:

https://www.amoena.com/au/

https://www.erilan.com.au/

https://www.bfreeaustralia.com.au/
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @KayB55 See above!
  • CRM
    CRM Member Posts: 91
    Options
    The hospital gave me a Berlei post surgery bra (compression/sports bra) with clips at the front after my lumpectomy and I was told to wear it day and night for 4 days. I found having the clips at the front really helpful as it hurt to reach around the back. Something you can sleep in is also a good idea. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Mousie

I had lumpectomy and axillary clearance.  For the first month/ 6 wks I wore the little crop top type ones that you get from Best and Lest.  I pulled out the padding which made them a bit more comfortable and I was able to sleep in them.
      Once everything was a little more settled and a bit less swollen I went back to my regular bras, with wire.  It was just a matter of finding something where the wire didn't come up too high under my arm.  I really liked the Berlei Brazillian one.  Really comfy, good to exercise or do yard work in, with a bit of padding that evened everything out. They are really quite pretty as well. 
    xoxoxo
  • Mousie
    Options
    Thanks everyone,  I will certainly ask the breast nurse and thanks for the links. I have had myself properly fitted quite recently so sizing is pretty good. I’ll check out the  Berlei ones definitely as my sports s bras are that brand
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hello @Mousie
    I was actually going to post a similar question.
    I am six months along after diagnosis, was a 16DD, and find even the Berlei post op bra (and other post surgery bras I have bought) irritate my sentinel node scar, which unfortunately is where the bra sits under the armpit. I now prefer non wired, as my cancers were in the lower half of the breast. For six months I have been wearing the Amoena 'Frances' bra, which I just LOVE for the comfort and cotton content (hot flushes). However it isn't ideal in terms of supporting my intact DD breast, but seems ok for my 'half chopped into breast' (which is now maybe a C cup?)  
    I am thinking of buying this one -
    https://exquisitebodies.com.au/fleur-light-support-bra-back-opening-hook-eye-vanilla-cream/
    Any other advice on a soft, non wired, supportive bra, that won't rub my armpit scar would be great. Trying on is excellent advice, but sometimes you don't know it rubs until after a few hours later!
    All the best in whatever is right for you, and sending you my very best wishes for Wednesday!
    xx
  • Mousie
    Options
    Thanks @suburbangirl. Thanks for the info about the rubbing. My surgeon was saying he may be able to remove the cancer and the sentinal node with the one incision due yo the location of the cancer so anything is going to cut across the scar. I think I might wait until I know what ima actually dealing with incision wise. I just don’t want to be out in public with my girls (16e) let loose 😄
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I bought front opening post op bras from Target .They were easy to do up and good for radiotherapy which followed my lumpectomy as it made multiple daily creaming up the radiated breast easy.Later  a friend gave me a sports bra which you step into and I found it so comfortable.Originally they called “ah bras” .They are available at Target , Kmart etc .I am of a similar size to yourself. Two years later I still wear them - they are  so good.
  • Mousie
    Options
    Thanks @Romla, I will check them out
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I found the Berlei one extremely uncomfortable but then I've always been one for light support, not being particularly large-breasted.  It did get me through the first days, though.  When I was in hospital for my second surgery, I got fitted for an Amoena post-surgery bra and that was much better.  After surgeries, I got pain from where the drain was and also a lot from the axillary dissection as the nerves get rather confused so almost everything "rubbed".  I bought a few of the Kmart version Ah Bras and wore them with and without padding (and usually something wrapped around the side to stop the pressure under the arm) for quite a few weeks then was fitted properly for something more structured - still had to be soft and by that time, also had to accommodate the port - and a prosthesis.  Most of what I get is Amoena because that's what my fitters sell.  They're pretty comfortable (as far as bras can be) but I do wish that you could get a post-mastectomy bra that was a bit lower cut.  Don't forget that if you have private health insurance, you may be able to claim your bras as mastectomy garments.