Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

PEt Scan

Options
Glynnis
Glynnis Member Posts: 353
edited March 2019 in Metastatic breast cancer
hi everyone, I have a PET Scan on Thursday with results late Thursday afternoon, anyone else had a PET scan? They tell me I have to fast from midnight
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I had one a couple of years ago. You do need to fast.

I'm digging around in my brain a bit here, but as I understand it, the contrast injection you get is a combo of some radioactive stuff and a special sugar solution. Apparently tumours (and in my case a couple of spots where I had a really nasty chest infection) take up the sugar solution--and consequently the contrast-- faster than other tissue which is why they 'pop' as green dots on the scan.

That's a very simplistic explanation. It has also played in to the nonsense that sugar feeds cancer. Cancer feeds on the same thing as everything else, it just  does it faster than other tissue. The fasting is needed to bring your blood glucose right down before the scan. I'm happy to be corrected if I've got that all arse about.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Glynnis
    Some information regarding the PET scan and preparation for your information
    https://www.insideradiology.com.au/pet-scan/

• Glynnis
    Options
  • Glynnis
    Options
    Thankyou @Zoffiel now I understand Thankyou 😃