Breast Cancer and Sexual Wellbeing - BCNA's new resource

Options
Michelle Marven
Michelle Marven Member Posts: 7
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

I'm so pleased to let you know that BCNA has developed a new information booklet for women with breast cancer called Breast Cancer and Sexual Wellbeing.

We started to look in more detail at the impact of breast cancer on women's sexual wellbeing, after women had been contacting us, surprised and distressed at this unexpected consequence.

We wanted to better understand how many women were experiencing problems, and the type of issues they were experiencing. So we commissioned Professor Jane Ussher from the University of Western Sydney to conduct research for us. 

Professor Ussher and her team did a fantastic job, with over 2,200 women (many who were from BCNA's Review and Survey Group) and more than 150 health professionals responding to the survey - an amazing number, which in itself told us that this was such an important issue!

Women talked about how their breast cancer had impacted on their sense of self and their confidence, the emotional impact on their relationship, and the challenges they faced if they were looking to start a new relationship. Women also talked about physical side effects of breast cancer such as menopause, and how this impacted on their ability to be intimate with a partner.

Health professionals told us about the difficulties they sometimes experience in knowing how to talk to women about sexual wellbeing, and the need for more information to be available.

We realised pretty quickly that what was needed was comprehensive information for both women and health professionals. So we developed the booklet.

I really hope you find it useful, respectful and relevant to your experience. This is such a personal issue, but is often so important to our wellbeing and quality of life. If you've had a chance to read our new booklet, please do let us know what you think about it. 

We've been promoting the booklet far and wide, including a moving article in the Pink magazine called The Last Taboo, in which BCNA Community Liaisions Kirsty Muir, Bronwyn Wells and Suzanne Mullen share their stories. Limited numbers of the October issue of the Australian Women's Weekly carry the Pink magazine, so keep your eyes out in your local newsagent or supermarket.

You can order or download a copy of the booklet from our website here: http://www.bcna.org.au/living-breast-cancer/sexual-wellbeing

Comments

• mquine10
    mquine10 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I am so glad for this booklet, Life is not the same after breast cancer, that is for sure. my husband read the booklet and suggested we go to marriage counselling for which I am grateful for. I have had counselling and he has had counselling from the cancer foundation ( phone). Intimacy  has not been on my radar for 2 and a half years! and he is still with me. Seriously the trial drugs I am on have side effects and lack of lobedo is just one of them. So thank you for the booklet, it assissted my husband in understanding me more, and taking the inititive towards saving our marriage.

• mquine10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I am so glad for this booklet, Life is not the same after breast cancer, that is for sure. my husband read the booklet and suggested we go to marriage counselling for which I am grateful for. I have had counselling and he has had counselling from the cancer foundation ( phone). Intimacy  has not been on my radar for 2 and a half years! and he is still with me. Seriously the trial drugs I am on have side effects and lack of lobedo is just one of them. So thank you for the booklet, it assissted my husband in understanding me more, and taking the inititive towards saving our marriage.

• Michelle Marven
    Michelle Marven Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm so pleased that the booklet has been helpful! When we wrote it we hoped that partners may also read it, to better understand what women are experiencing. It's great to get your feedback, and best wishes to you and your husband for the next steps!

• mquine10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks, yes it has been very helpful, and though I would give positve feedback to you and hopefully others will receive personal empowerment as well. As hard as the ongoing stress is, it is good to face facts and do something about it. thanks again.

• Marci
    Marci Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hello I was wanting to download the booklet, but it goes to a page saying that the page I was looking for was not available? I would really like to order a booklet if I could please. Thank you

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi Marci, try this - click here for the booklet.

Ann-Marie

• Marci
    Marci Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you Annie Marie.