Sucky Day

Options
Tracey2800
Tracey2800 Member Posts: 32
edited December 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Well today was a shitter! A week ago I was given my histopathology results - favourable and contained tumour with sentinel nodes negative to cancer. 

Today I took myself off to meet my oncologist and discuss (I thought) my hormone blocking therapy. Imagine my utter gut dropping surprise to be told that one of the nodes did in fact have cancer evident! I don’t know how the first results were incorrect, but I’m devastated at the moment. 

It’s like I held my breath for a month, then finally relaxed after the “good news” only to be hit from behind today. F#%*. 

So, Change of plans now with Chemo starting on the 21/12. I’ll bounce back, but it wouldn’t have been this hard if I’d been given the right results when I was mentally prepared. Not once I’d let my guard down :(
Tagged:

Comments

• tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Oh @tracey2800 you poor thing , that's devastating news ! I can only imagine how you are feeling !

Did they retest it or did someone tell you the wrong thing , either way that's unforgiveable I reckon !
    Good luck for the chemo , I didn't have it so cant give you any tips ,but i'm sure some of the other lovelies will .Ask away 7 they will guide you 

Hope you manage to enjoy your Christmas with family & friends ,thinking of you 

Big hugs xx
  • Tracey2800
    Options
    Thanks @tigerbeth 😊
    It seems that someone didn’t give the right info to my surgeon (who is away at the moment). He and I had started to make plans moving forward and he was pleased that I wouldn’t have to have Chemo!
    So no one knew today when I saw the oncologist that I had been told alternate news, hence when they started talking Chemo etc they didn’t initially understand my shock or tears. 

I’ll talk with my surgeon Monday, only so as to work out what the hell went wrong and prevent it happening to another unsuspecting woman. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,615
    Options
    That's a bugger, @Tracey2800   I hope you are able to get stuck into the required treatment to beat this mongrel BC  xxx  

Well done on wanting to help others not have to go thru the shock that you've had xx  Take care xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Sucky day indeed @Tracey2800 This stuff is hard enough without miscommunication--the last thing you need is to be angry as well as stunned.
    As you say, finding out what went wrong won't change the outcome for you, but might tighten up the processes so it doesn't happen to someone else. Good luck. Mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hugs to you @Tracey2800 That's absolutely awful.
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    My bc nurse told me I didn’t need chemo, so you can imagine my shock as well when I saw my surgeon. I felt devastated. I had excitedly rang all my family to tell them the good news & then had to call them again to tell them the bad news. I feel sick for you but once starting chemo time seemed to fly. Will be thinking of you on 21/12. Hugs.  Keep us in touch with how you’re going xx
  • Tracey2800
    Options
    Oh @Doodoo you too! Such a seesaw of emotion. I’ve had so many well wishes who think I’m free and clear, now I have to let them know it’s not quite as good. My sister took the turn around quite hard. 
    I woke up this morning and remembered that it could be worse as it is for many lovely ladies. So I’m bringing some perspective back to my thinking and getting on with kicking this to the kerb 💪🏼
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,554
    Options
    @Tracey2800
    I hear your angst about the news!  
    In my predicament I was told I probably don't need chemo so when I went to see the Oncologist he discussed my options.  One was chemo however it was only a 3% improvement so I asked what else is on offer and we went from there. Sometimes at the start we convince ourselves all is good however it is the final pathology and the Oncologist that ultimately determine the path

Not sue if you have been given this booklet so if not here's the link and it is also an opportunity to explore the BCNA website 

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/treatment/chemotherapy/

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming treatment, Take care
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Good girl. It’s all such an emotional ride, & you’re naturally going to have down days, but if you can pick yourself back up again & keep kicking its butt you’re going to heal faster. It sounds crazy, but I had so many hilarious moments with other patients & nurses during chemo. Also made a lifetime friend from chemo & now one from radiation ( which I finish on Monday ) 😊🤗
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Tracey2800 I went from thinking I just needed a wide excision and rads to a mastectomy, chemo and rads.  I found that a hell of a blow to my confidence.  However, I was never given misinformation - it was just "this is what we think, but we'll know more later" approach.  I think that you're doing admirably, considering what you've been through.  
  • Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I went through six months chemo best advise I can give you , is drink your 2 litres of water /fluid a day and as much as I dreaded and didn't feel like it go for a walk at least 30 minutes everyday. 

Good luck 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    @Tracey2800  That totally sucks big time.  Understand how you feel. I got told no rads then they decided for me to have Rads after the 3 surgeries and chemo already this year so bit of a sobbing mess with the surgeon.  I got the phone call four days later from my surgeon himself to say there was a miscommunication between pathologist and Rad Onc and that I didn't need it at all and apologised profusely but I was just  happy with the final decision.   I know you didn't plan for this but just take a deep breath and you will get through this. Thoughts are with you.   hugs  Katie xox
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I knew from  the start from my punch biopsy pathology I would need chemo. It didn't change the devastation that actual conversation had on me and there I was waiting for my heart scan ...with tears pouring down my face. It really makes the whole scary shit of cancer real. Even more than the darn surgery. 
    Initial results are macro evidence of cancer...then the next are micro evidence. Perhaps this is where the confusion was. 
  • Tracey2800
    Options
    It does appear that the confusion was due to macro and micro evidence @primek . Being a newbie to the BC world my surgeon should have realised that I wouldn’t know and perhaps he needs to take this into consideration. He did call me once he knew of my devastation so we’re all on the same page again.