Hair Regrowth / Re styling

Silba
Silba Member Posts: 115
edited December 2018 in General discussion
Hello ,
 I am starting to get my hair back this includes eyelashes and eyebrows ( yipeeee no more watering eyes).

A vanity question  , went into chemo with light brown hair , came out with salt and pepper ( more salt) than anything.

I have about a 1cm on my head , how long before you can dye hair , I read somewhere you have to wait 12 months , is this true???? and why ??

Any thoughts 

Cheers 

Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Your hair colour may change naturally over time, mine started out chalk white but ended up with less grey than when I started chemo.  Your hair has had a rough time (like the rest of you) and recovery is more than just growing back. Texture and thickness may vary over time as well as colour. 6 months waiting is generally recommended. But you could investigate any hairdressers around you who uses organic (non chemical) dyes. Even then I'd be tempted to grin and bear it for a bit longer if you can but others may have started earlier with no ill effects. Best wishes. 
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    My hair came back white ( I knew I was probably white but was still a shock after being 'blonde' ) I think I waited 3 months then I dyed it back to blonde with a box of Herbatint dye from a health food shop. It didn't take on the colour as well as my hairdresser's dye but it was a change and made me look a bit like me again :) I've had 2 or 3 style cuts and am back to having professional colouring now (finished chemo April 17) and like my new short length. Good luck with it all x
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    edited December 2018
    Mine is just starting to come back white. Surprisingly I really like it white and super short so will stick with it.  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @kitkatb I love my hair super short and am sticking with it for the forseeable future..
  • LIttleBlueWren
    LIttleBlueWren Member Posts: 88
    Hi @Silba
    What a timely question, I am going through the same. I have about 2-3 cm of hair.

I rang Choices to ask about this and was put in touch with a hairdresser that has helped other chemo ladies. I was advised that if you have had paclitaxol then your hair might show a green tinge if you go blonde (I want a blonde pixie cut...I was previously long brown hair). The hairdresser said she would advise against colour for at least three months.

The Choices lady said that it can be worth checking the ingredients of the organic products as (I think it was) henna may have plant based estrogen (?sp) in it. Some people with e+ like to avoid these, I haven't read enough to know if it makes a difference. I'm e+ and p+.

I am going at the end of next week for a chat and a little trim around the ears and then will probably go brown in January and wait for my hair to be stronger and then go blonde around March time.  I am grey and white at the moment.

I must admit that so far I love being short-haired and am including the 'blonde pixie' as a silver lining of this whole thing.  Plus for all of the people I have kept this situation from I am going to blame a mid-life crisis (50 YO next year).

Have a great day and speedy hair growth :)

• Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Thank you all for the advise ,
    I love the short look which I will be keeping, my husband funnily enough does not mind the salt and pepper, even though he minder the few greys previously , go figure??
    And lLittle Blue Wren , I turned 50 myself 4 weeks ago, celebrated by getting my breast drains out, got to love the silver linings. :)