Extending Aromatase Inhibitor Treatment for 5 More Years No Better Than 2 More Years

Options
Lesley777
Lesley777 Member Posts: 10
edited December 2018 in Health and wellbeing
A new study came out in December 2017 saying extending the use of Aromatase Inhibitors longer than the initial 5 + 2 years (7 in total) is of no benefit.  👏👏👏. A friend who was on Femara was told by her oncologist to cease it and she had only been on the medication for 6 years in total.  Her oncologist claimed further research has shown that 5 years is sufficient protection.    I am on Arimidex so am hoping when I visit my oncologist next year she will tell me I can cease the medication.  The last time I visited she hinted that she wanted me to keep on it for a further 5 years but in light of this new research, I’m hopeful that she will have changed her mind.  However, I can’t find further research than the December 2017 report.  Has anyone else been told by their oncologist to cease their Aromatase Inhibitor after five years?  
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    They keep moving the goal posts, I reckon!!  Both my brother's Mothers in Law had BC surgery between 20 & 30 years ago - neither had chemo or rads, but was on Tamoxifen for 10 years and neither had recurrences at this point in time.  Both are in their 90's  (so were younger than me when diagnosed.)  

So I was surprised when my Surgeon and Rad Onc said the AIs would only be 5 years!

For every report suggesting 5 years, I reckon there are the same number of reports advocating 10 years!    If it gives you peace of mind - go with the 10 years!  ;)

Take care & all the best with your ongoing treatment xx