Recently Diagnosed

Options
Sharon01
Sharon01 Member Posts: 6
edited December 2018 in Newly diagnosed
On November 19, I went to my doctor with a sore breast. I knew I had a lump in the breast, which was previously diagnosed as just a cyst. One week later, I attended a breast clinic to have a mammogram and ultrasound. After the ultrasound, I also had 4 biopsies taken. I then met with the Breast Clinician and was told it wasn't good news, and they were right. The next day I received the official cancer diagnosis (not sure of type / name), along with dates to meet with the doctor / surgeon  this week and surgery scheduled the following week. At this point in time, I will be having a double mastectomy. 

On a positive note, I will no longer need to wear uncomfortable bra's.

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    hi Sharon01 sorry you have need to join us here but this forum is supportive and informative with empathy compassion and laughter and sorrow depending on the posts. 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

How to post on the main forum – use this
    link to get to the main forum and begin a new post. https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/post/discussion

Navigating the online community formerly the
    what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology
    reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

Soldiercrab
  • SoldierCrab
    Options
    I had a double mastectomy back in october 2012 and I am 6yrs Cancer free now 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Oh bummer, @Sharon01  - not the news you want to hear - but you've come to the right place for support and info. 

Once you've seen the surgeon, you'll have a good idea of the battle plan.  Do you have someone to go with you?  It can be quite daunting on your own.  A buddy will also be an extra set of ears and support for you.  The surgeon should have a Breast Care Nurse with him/her, to help you thru it & co-ordinate your appointments, etc

A few tips for surgery - take a front opening nightie, some magazines or puzzles (novels are no good!  Too many interruptions!)  Take ear plugs and an eye mask (they are brightly lit, noisy places!)  And some 'nibbles' ....  Ask the Breast Care nurse about a supportive pillow ..... it is a great aid, post op.   Others will jump on with lots of other tips soon, I reckon.

Where abouts (roughly) do you live - city/town .... there may be some members close by who can offer advice specific to your location. 

In the mean time - take one day at a time - tell those who you believe 'should know' and will be supportive of you (I didn't tell ALL my family initially.)   I kept everyone 'up to date' with a bulk email now & then .... much easier than replying to everyone individually.  Some set up blogs online for people to access, or a special Facebook page.   Whatever makes it easiest for you.

Take care, I hope you have supportive friends & family around you at this time.  Things get hectic at Xmas .... try & keep it simple this year - or within you 'new limits', post op.

Big hugs coming your way xxxxx

(The My Journey Online Tool is available here:)  https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/resources/my-journey-online-tool/

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Sharon. I'm glad you've found your way here. How are you feeling and coping so far?

Good on you for looking on the bright side re bras! I had a double mastectomy and DIEP recon. I still wear a bra but find they irritate my scars a bit, so every now and then, like now, I go bra free. Fabulous! My foobs are considerably more per perky than their cancerous predecessors so I don't look too odd! It's very freeing. K xox

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hi there and welcome.
    I too had a bilateral mastectomy and I also had reconstruction. I've finally finished my surgery 3 years on. 

The other ladies have already added helpful links. We are here for you when you need us.  No question too silly. Kath x
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hi Sharon, welcome to this forum. You will find some amazing stories here of women who have been through this roller coaster ride and they are more than happy to share their experiences with you.
    Im new to this a as well only being diagnosed October this year, having a partial mascectomy December 19th.
    We all know how you feel , some of us are at your stage, others have been there and done all of it with amazing positive outcomes.
    Sending big hugs your way ❤️
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Sharon01

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @Sharon01 On another positive note, you found this forum where you can come and rant to your hearts content and we all get it. Lots of snuggle hugs to get you through.
  • SoldierCrab
    Options
    hi @Sharon01
    I meant to say in my previous reply to you I had bilateral Mastectomy with no reconstruction in Oct 2012... I love being flat and fabulous with no bras anymore.