Port Insertion

Options
Suzi_S61
Suzi_S61 Member Posts: 68
edited October 2018 in General discussion
Hi all, I had my port installed this morning at the Radiology dept in the Public Hospital. I have to say I was pretty anxious about the process and went in there and said I think I need sedating for this because I am nervous about it. The nurses were lovely. They set me up ready for the procedure and the radiologist came and spoke to me.
He said the majority of people cope quite well without sedation and just local anaesthetic. He said apart from less risks the benefit is that if I did feel uncomfortable they could give me pain relief and sometimes when you are half groggy you might feel pain but not be able to communicate that. So I put on my brave face and went with his advice. 
You do lay around waiting for quite a while as they set up and then they drape a curtain across your face but suspend it so you don't feel suffocated.
The injections have a bit of a sting but its only for a couple of seconds and then you are numb. They put one in at the base of your neck and a couple in your breast. I didn't feel any pain, just a bit of pulling and pressing but no pain.
He told me they were going to start and I didn't realise they were half way through until he said nearly finished. He was very clear about each step without stressing me. It felt like I was having the procedure for about 15 mins. Reality from beginning to end 1 hour all up. I only felt a pinch on the last stitch but it wasn't enough to worry about. They said he did a very neat job of stitching me up. I arrived at the hospital 8.30am and was back in the recovery at 10.30am. Home now and happy to move on to my first chemo next week. 
Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Wow, doesn't sound too bad at all. I had mine put in under general anaesthetic.  I almost wonder if they're a bit rougher in that situation. I woke up with what feltvand looked (to me, at least) like a 3rd boob, almost in the middle of my chest. 
  • Suzi_S61
    Options
    @lrb_03 gosh sounds like that was pretty brutal. Sorry that wasn't the best experience. I was really worried when someone mentioned it was the worst experience of her life. Pain from start to finish. I was thinking well I have given birth to 4 kids and barely had any pain relief so surely I can handle this. I wss right I could. I had a pretty awful nights sleep last night. I couldn't lay on my left or right side and then I woke with my Sciatic nerve letting me know it wasn't happy. Thankfully after moving around a bit it eased. Looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight though. Only had 2 panadol this morning thats it so far. Managed to shower and wash my hair and keep the water off the surgery too. Multi talented here lol.
    I hope that the swelling goes down soon for you. Its a bit awkward for me as I have to support my boob a bit when I stand up or it pulls on my surgery to billyo. Keep smiling we are not going to let this crappy stuff get to us 💖
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I found that it was a few weeks until I could comfortably lay on my side and a week or so before I could get out of bed without having to support it.
  • Suzi_S61
    Options
    @sister thanks. The things we have to do 😲😄.  Actually realised today my treatment is going to be another month longer than I thought. Well damn it!!. Thats because they are charging me to weekly half way through.