Copied from the activity page. New member asking for advice.

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
edited August 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Apirl72
Hi i not long ago found out i have breast cancer, they said the tumor is about 4cm and in the limbs gland under my arm. They are doing chemo first but said later they will remove my breast. Im wondering if with your first chemo why are both breasts sore, is it common regards Linda

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Apirl72
    hi sorry you have need to join the forum 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Thank you Zoffiel for bringing this over to discussions where Apirl72 will get some responses ... 

Apirl72 I was sore all over and I had already had my surgery.... think of it as your body having to cope with a massive amount of toxins to kill the cancer... it also hits us like a sledge hammer at times. 

• Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    @Apirl72 welcome to the forum.

I had neoadjuvant chemo too (what it's called when you have chemo first before surgery).

I didn't find my breasts got sore in particular but I did feel like I had been hit by a ton of bricks after my first chemo and stayed in bed for a day or two feeling very sorry for myself.

Hopefully you have some support at home. Either way treat yourself kindly and rest when you need to.

I found my breast care nurses very helpful. They can usually tell you if what you are experiencing is usual or if it's something you may need to bring up with your oncologist.

In between oncologist appointments I used to write down any side effects that came up and when, so that I didn't forget to mention them at my next appointment.

All the ladies here are very lovely so just shout out with any questions.

All the best xxx
  • Apirl72
    Apirl72 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you so much. I wondering to are you getting your breast removed,  as i am because the lump is so big   regards Linda 
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Hey @Apirl72 if you put an @ in front of the username the person will be tagged and gets an alert, eg @SoldierCrab

Yep, I am having a total mastectomy plus axillary lymph nodes removed. Same reason, big lump, and small boob in my case. I was told that a lumpectomy would not give a good cosmetic result.

In my case, by doing the chemo first they are aiming for a   better result when I have my reconstruction. My tumour was very close to the skin but now it has been shrunk by the chemo the breast surgeon says she can save all the skin except for the nipple.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello Apirl72 and welcome. If you have any questions at all please dont hesitate to contact the BCNA Helpline to speak to a cancer nurse on 1800 500 258. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Apirl72
    I'm wondering if it's a hormonal cause. Does it feel like  that? Chemo affects ovary function and the sudden changes might be affecting your breasts. Talk to your breast care nurse if you can tomorrow. If hot, swollen or skin is shiny on breasts please go to the Emergency Department as it could  be infection or inflammation.
    And keep checking your temp as they recommend. Kath x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome @april72 I can't comment on much that you've asked but please follow up the soreness. You'll find lots of information, advice and a few laughs on this site - even if diagnoses differ, we all get it.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Zoffiel
    Thanks for posting this in a new thread for @Apirl72 I missed this in the activity thread.