Daffodils

Options
Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited August 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I've put this under "Health and Wellbeing" because for me, it is...

I've just looked out of the kitchen window and noticed that my daffodils are coming out.  These were always considered in our family to be my sister's flowers as they were always blooming for her birthday in September.  This was well before they became a symbol for the cancer organisations.  Since we lost her to BC, this has always seemed a poignant coincidence.  I still love the daffs and I will watch for them flowering where I've planted them amongst the grass across the hillside and every time I look at them, I will think of Lori.

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    My favourite colour and my favourite flower.x
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @sister. Love daffodils - can understand how they have so much meaning for u xo
  • BarbieAnne
    BarbieAnne Member Posts: 174
    Options
    @Sister  What a lovely reminder of your sister! I have been enjoying the mass plantings of the daffies in Mt Barker streets.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Beautiful Sister.

Bloody awesome @Merv.
  • Sister
    Options
    We took the kids on a road trip to the Centre a few years ago and it was fantastic.  If you get a chance, spend the night at Kings Canyon and listen for the dingoes howling out their song during the night.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @Merv,"
    from one mets person to another, fantastic to hear that you are" seizing the day"enjoy your trip, my partner and I did it several years ago with a camper trailer, as @Sister said if you get the chance Kings Canyon is amazing, also Palm Valley out of Alice Springs,also Hermansberg is worth a visit as well, safe travelling, 
    wendy55
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Merv travelling will do wonders for you!  There's so much to see and enjoy and I agree with @wendy55 if the opportunity arises Hermansburg and Palm Valley are great locations to visit.  As to Kings Canyon, loved it and we stayed at Kings Creek Cattle Station.

@sister what a wonderful tribute with the Daffodils for your sister, there's something about them that brings a smile as they gently roll with the breeze.  A few years ago we planted in excess of 1,000 in the garden and different varieties so we enjoy them through the season and they are so rewarding.   At present the daffs under the weeping cherry are up and the cherry is still dormant, something I look at from the kitchen window.

Take care and time out for yourselves
  • Merv
    Merv Member Posts: 27
    Options
    @wendy55 @iserbrown thanks for the travel tips. These pesky 3 weekly treatments play havoc with extended travelling. Guess I'll just have to work out a strategy around lots of small trips.
  • Sister
    Options
    I remember going to London when I was 19 and seeing masses of daffodils out in Hyde Park (?).  I was thoroughly confused at first because I'd left Autumn in Australia.  

I wonder if the fields of daffodils are still there in the Blue Mountains, @arpie?
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    @Sister  - Yes, they still are & the School still sells them!! ;)  

I've contacted them to see if they may have a copy of the photo in their archives.

• Sister
    Options
    If you get a copy don't forget to post it!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Sister happy birthday to your sister - it’s a gorgeous photo and her t shirt made me laugh - so old school - u wouldn’t see anything like that anymore. It must of been so tough to do a “tour” of the places you went with your sister while u were going through the same bloody horrible experience. Thinking of u today - Steph xoxox