Dry July Done and Dusted

Options
DearB
DearB Member Posts: 205
soooooo i got through Dry july and raised just over $250 for Royal Melb hospital,  less then my goal but I am happy with results, and don't want to call it too early, but I think this will be the start of a lot less wine in my life.  I actually tried a few different yummy drinks with no alcohol and enjoyed them.  I think I will just put my hand up to be the designated driver thats easier then explaining why i am not drinking.   :):)

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well done @DearB!

I stopped drinking when I got the BreastScreen recall letter in November. Had a couple on Christmas Day but that was about it until after Easter when my tastebuds recovered from chemotherapy. Now I have a drink on special occasions and maybe on a Friday. I found it easier to do than I expected. So much of it is social and habit.

One good side effect is the money I'm saving! So now when I drink wine it's a way better drop. If I'm only going to drink occasionally it better be a really good bottle I'm opening!

My go to non-alcoholic drink is a big glass of mineral or soda water with some fresh lemon or lime juice in it. I'm also partial to Kombucha. What's your new 'poison'? K xox
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Soda water with a slice of lemon. Way to go. Could all change after first chemo session tomoz though 
  • kmakm
    Options
    @JenniA It was very tolerable for me during chemo. Couldn't drink plain water. The acidity made the difference.

Best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on. K xox
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Good luck @JenniA for tomorrow. I found chemo to be ok. I was never nauseous once but very fatigued. I hope you sail through it.
    XO
  • Doin'it
    Options
    Oh that’s good to know @kmakm
    @LMK74 thanks heaps for those positive words xxoo 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Awesome work @DearB.  You are a stronger woman than me.  Epic failure on dry any month (or week for that matter) :smiley:
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Alcohol makes me anxious now and I've only had a couple of glasses since diagnosis ( my husband is sure booze is the culprit while my money is on stress but who knows).  And chemo has made most things tasteless or unpleasant so hasn't been too hard.  I'm hoping that I can be an occasional drinker without trouble when things get back on a more even keel.  My go to has been very cold mineral water and I love a chinotto (but not it's sugar content).
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,615
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Well done YOU, @dearb  ...  i think i am with @kezmusc on this one!!  ;)  

@sister  I think I'd be anxious if i DIDN'T have alcohol!   lol

Not that i get screaming drunk or anything ..... i just enjoy a wine or 3 at night  ;)
  • Doin'it
    Options
    @kmakm @LMK74 all done & feeling good. Not thinking of side affects till or if they hit. One down, 3 more to go yay
  • LMK74
    Options
    @JenniA, great news . I was shitting myself for the first one. I went home and remember waiting for the side effects to kick in. I thought the next six months I would have my head in a bucket lol. Never happened. I hope the same for you. Let us know how you go. 
  • Doin'it
    Options
    Well done @LMK74. Always awesome to read a positive comment. I will keep in touch & report good or bad. Hopefully good
  • LMK74
    Options
    @JenniA, rest up and be kind to yourself. I look forward to hearing about your experience.  :)
  • kmakm
    Options
    Well done @JenniA. So good to get the first one out of way. No more fear of the unknown now.

Like @LMK74 I didn't throw up once. Just felt a bit nauseous every now and then. Have a walk every day and drink lots of water over the next few days. Rest when you need to. Good idea not to think about side effects too much, no use crossing bridges until you come to them. Sleep well. K xox
  • Doin'it
    Options
    Thanks @kmakm. I drank so much water yesterday arvo I peed about a dozen times over night lol. Might try to drink early today!! Woke up feeling ok. That’s a positive xx