Adelaide Encore - free hydrotherapy program

Options
Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
edited September 2018 in Health and wellbeing
The new dates are on the YWCA Adelaide website for the free Encore program.Basically starts October as term 3 most of us don’t like going out in the cold.

It is an 8 week program , 2 hours per week.Involves one hour hydrotherapy and each week is a guest speaker covering topics relevant to breast cancer.Is also a wonderful opportunity to meet up with others in the same boat - maybe even make new friends.

There are 2 locations - one north and one south.

From a personal viewpoint I found it excellent and highly recommend it.

If you are interested it may be an idea to apply quickly in case it fills.

Will try to paste details below but if am not successful go on YWCA Adelaide website.

http://ywca.com.au/programs/encore/
Tagged:

Comments

• Romla
    Options
    PS It is particularly recommended for those with lymphoedema.
  • Romla
    Options
    PPS YWCA holds this program in some other states too - might be worth a look on your state YWCA web site. They also provide regional programs not just metropolitan. Last I looked NSW had an extensive number of programs but Victoria none.Here in SA it’s mainly metropolitan but they put the occasional regional program on.
  • Clouise
    Clouise Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the info @Romla if I can get my oncologist to sign the forms I’ll hopefully be going to the program at the Repat, should be heating up nicely by October  :)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Ooooh! Just looked at the program - wonder if I can make the Friday one at the Repat.  Kids might not like having to hang around in town for hours after school though!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    The kids will survive @sister. Drop them at the library and do something for yourself mxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I concur with @Zoffiel @Sister. They have seen what you've gone through, they love you, they'll suck it up. It's not indefinite. This is one of those 'putting yourself first' moments. Do it. You love the water and trust me, you'll love feeling the strength returning to your limbs. I have adored my exercise physiology class, and am very sad it's finishing this week. I'm glad I've got another one lined up in September. You must do the Encore programme!
  • Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Thankyou Romla! I never knew programs like this existed. It looks fabulous. Even better that it is free! Lol. I hope to get into the one at the repat.
  • Romla
    Options
    Flinders Uni also has an online course that may be of interest run thru their Psychology department called Finding My Way it’s free too.
  • Romla
    Options
    https://www.findingmyway.org.au/
    Here’s some information @Fletch

• Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Fabulous, Thankyou.
  • Sister
    Options
    @romla I'm registering for the Encore at the Repat in Term 4.  If there are logistical problems, I will deal with them when the time comes, even if it means I have to leave the sessions a little early.
  • Romla
    Options
    Great news - you will enjoy it and find it helpful . Weather is warmer , lighter later and is always a way round most things if we think creatively.
  • Sister
    Options
    For Adelaideans, don't forget the Encore program next term.  I've registered for the one at the Repat, Daw Park on Friday afternoons, 4-6pm - finally got the paperwork signed and sent off.  Hope to see people there!
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    @sister i  have signed up for the Hampstead  one  on a Tuesday night  anyone else doing that one? 
  • Sister
    Options
    Hampstead would be easier for me location-wise but the time and day makes it impossible, so off to Daw Park, I go.