Anyone interested in doing a podcast with us?

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a woman to be
part of a podcast we are doing with Breast Screen Victoria next week. If anyone is interested and meets the following criteria, please direct message me.

·        
Diagnosed through
routine mammogram (or sent to a breast screen facility after having a symptom)

·        
Victorian based

·        
Able to be part of a
podcast recording on Thursday 14 June at 10.30am (must be able to attend in
person at Melbourne University)

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,530
    Hmm!  I was diagnosed through Breastscreen here in Victoria.  I will put some thought into this as I am not sure my case is what they would be looking for.  Mine was very straightforward and my call up to Breastscreen at Parkville had me leaving there with the My Journey Kit, a diagnosis, core biopsy and follow up appointment with Breast Surgeon who gave me the diagnosis and a Counsellor that was allocated to us the minute we walked in the door.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2018
    Wow, you got a counsellor without asking?! It was a battle for me to get one...

I meet the criteria too Marianne. How long would we be there? How many people do you need?
  • iserbrown
    Yes the minute we walked in and had our name ticked off the list we were sent in with a Counsellor so it wasn't hard to work out what was going on and that it would be a long day and sure enough we were the second last to leave on the day.  
    It was a very busy day and when I was corralled with the other women, room was full, I kept my head down and this voice said, "What are you doing here?" turns out there were 5 other ladies from my neighbourhood there with me on the recall.  Two of us were diagnosed the others were relieved to go home.
    After my ultrasound they said you're going straight to the surgeon and I said I am not going back in the room with all the ladies and I sat with my hubby in the passage waiting so when I was given the diagnosis I was already prepared.  The Counsellor shadowed me all day with each test and was there in the room with a cast of thousands with the Breast Surgeon when he gave me the news.  My hubby was teary but I wasn't and everyone in the room were holding their breath expecting me to crack but I didn't!  It was a formality only to wait for the pathology results as the diagnosis was obvious.
  • kmakm
    @iserbrown You were bloody lucky to be given such care, consideration and options. I am envious. My surgeon gave me my diagnosis and I liked how he managed that god awful hour so I went with him for my treatment, and very glad I am that I did. But I sat in a ramshackle shabby waiting room with a dozen other women and/or partners and watched another two couples go in and out before me, and could hear other staff including pathologists discussing tumours and patients through closed doors. It's always going to be an awful wait but geeze, there are ways to make it better...
  • iserbrown
    Yes reading your comments makes me appreciate even more that they were very caring and compassionate and yes if I do the podcast that would be my message. 
  • iserbrown
    @Marianne_BCNA - we were wondering how many do they need for this podcast?
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Hi there,
    Thanks so much for your interest. We only need one. I understand they would ideally like someone under 40 but will pass both your details on as this isn't a hard and fast requirement. 
  • kmakm
    Ooh, I'm way past that age! 52 on Sunday...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    HI Joannie,
    You can access free mammograms but they're not routinely offered until 50 (hence the younger women requirement being flexible :)
  • iserbrown

kmakm said:

Ooh, I'm way past that age! 52 on Sunday...

Well I hope you have your name on the birthday list so @socoda can let us all know and whip up one of those wonderful cakes of hers!  
  • iserbrown
    edited May 2018
    It's a wonder Breastscreen doesn't have their own list of somewhere near 40 years old that they could contact 
  • kmakm
    @Marianne_BCNA I'll take that!  :D
  • kmakm
    edited May 2018
    I think so @iserbrown   :)