Wigs

Kerry-Lee47
Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
Hello everyone,
I’m due to start Chemo in 7 days and have been told I will lose my hair.
Can anyone recommend a good wig supplier? and is there any Medicare funding for this?
also what’s the best/ most comfortable to get?Capless or Lace front?
The websites I have been on are crazy money and I’m not sure what I’m looking for?

Comments

• duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    @Kerry-Lee47  I believe the Cancer Council has a wig service where you can borrow one for the duration of your treatment. A friend of mine got one from them and it is a lovely wig. Not sure about capless or lace front. Perhaps give them a call?
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Thankyou @duxx1234 I will give them a call
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Just a quick hint@Kerry-Lee47, I went off to get my wig before I lost my hair, so the wig was fitted over my existing hair, not a good idea anyway not for me because when I lost all of my hair and started to wear my wig of course it was a bit too big!!,
    moral of the story wait till you are hairless! that is if you can, to get fitted, take a friend with you, the people who do this are very experienced and understanding, make a day of it, my sister in law came with me and we had a lovely time trying them all on,there are wig libraries around just ring the cancer council in your state,my wig cost $300 and to be truthful I would never spend that kind of money again, I have heard of a rebate but not sure about the details, if you have private health ring them, or ask your oncologist, it might depend on which state you live in,
    wendy55
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    My private health cover provided a rebate for most of the cost of my wig. I don't think Medicare provides anything.
    I think the Cancer Council services very by state. Where I am,  you can purchase one from them for $60, but they don't loan them as such.
    Where abouts are you? If you end up buying one, I'd be happy to send my leftover wig shampoo. I hardly used any of it, and it cost a motza
  • Fionap2017
    Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
    I’m on the gold coast and I got mine at Starkles. You really need to try them on as they look quite different on you compared to on the mannequins. I paid $400 as I couldn’t get a rebate (we have hospital cover through BUPA but not extras). Mine is very realistic, you can’t tell it’s a wig. In hindsight I probably wouldn’t buy one if I had to do it all again. I ended up wearing my turban a lot more, it was much easier than the wig. I also found a great little store close by that lends them. If you do get one, try to have fun trying them on and getting your new look. Nothing about this journey is much fun so I tried to find some enjoyment where I could. Good luck with everything.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited May 2018
    @Kerry-Lee47 some Cancer Units have wig libraries.... 
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Hi Kerry-Lee47 if I remember correctly when I went to the Look Good Feel Better  thing the lady running it said they hire wigs out. But I am not too sure  you could always check  with your breast care nurse she might know. Take care  xox
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Kiwi Angel you look beautiful! Very natural thanks for the tip
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Thanks everyone great advice, hope you are all recovering well x
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Melinda you look fab too! Just seen your message, Wendy55 I was going to buy a wig this week but will wait now as do t want it to be too big when it all falls out! :smile:
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Kerry-Lee47 thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Hi @Kerry-Lee47 I never wore a wig as I chose beanies and scarves. During chemo I had some problems with overheating and I think a wig would have been too hot. The wigs here look great ladies. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @kerry-Lee47 as mine started to fall i got my hairdresser to shave it off. I took my wig with me she then put it on and cut it and shaped it like my hair used to look. Was great i walked out with it on. Was an emotional day my hairdresser is a friend ive known about 25yrs. :)