10 days to go til surgery

Options
arnlybub
arnlybub Member Posts: 20
Hi there everyone.  Can anyone give me any tips on what I need to do/buy/stock up on before my surgery?  I know I have 10 days to go but will have a pretty hectic schedule until then so tomorrow is really the only chance I have to shop.  It's 5 years since my 88 year old mother had her lumpectomy for breast cancer and I've forgotten all the things we did for her before and after her operation.

I had my brother fit a hand held shower head thingy to my shower and I've stocked up on the heavier things I can think of eg washing powder, milk, cat litter.... but there's bound to be stuff that's slipped my mind (easy to do at the moment).

I've seen a lot of talk on here about laxatives - any recommendations?  I have IBS and have only ever needed medication to block me up not let it out  :o:o  Sorry, TMI?

What about pain killers?  I can usually only take paracetamol and have a bad reaction to anything with codeine or ibuprofin, my GP tried me on Tramadol but that gave me the same reaction as all the others which shits me no end.

I had my pre-admission clinic this week and was poked, prodded, lectured, measured etc and then met with the McGrath Nurse for an hour which was fantastic.

Also, any good comebacks for a work colleague who comes to me every Monday morning since my diagnosis with a 'sad' face and tells me about yet another friend, cousin or neighbour or someone that she used to know who now has breast cancer.   A comeback which will stop me wanting to smack her upside the head would be most helpful  >:)   

Thanks heaps

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited May 2018
    Options
    All the best for your surgery, @arnlybub

Be prepared for possible Emotion as you leave your loved ones behind as you are admitted ....  I was FINE up til then!  Then I blubbed, big time! Earplugs and an eye mask helped me they the overnight stay. It is almost impossible to sleep in a hospital otherwise.

Take whatever painkillers as you can and keep the level up for about a week (more if needed) so the pain doesn’t kick in and  make it difficult to sleep.

I found that a small pillow under the affected arm at night helped relieve discomfort, specially once you can sleep on the ‘other side’.  It basically keeps the almost arm level with the body which prevents more pain/discomfort. 

Your ability to reach or pick up heavy things will be limited for a while .... so precooking meals & freezing them would be a bonus.  A buddy actually arranged for a week of ‘Light & Easy’ meals delivered so she didn’t have to do ANY cooking as she lives on her own!!  Clever lady!

i never had an issue with needing laxatives ... I think that is only if you are out on endone for any length of time.

I am sure there will be more tips coming your way ....

all the best xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You don't really need too much for a WLE.  The shower head is a good idea. I found it difficult to wash my hair the first couple of times. I had a sentinel node biopsy at the same time which definitely contributed to the discomfort.

Get some advice from your doctors about the painkiller situation, maybe panadol osteo could be good as it's a bit stronger. I didn't need ultra strong meds so you could be OK with that.

The most useful thing for me was an ice pack. Get a couple at the hospital. You need one in the freezer and one down your bra. If they offer you more than one at the hospital, accept it!

Do you have the (so not attractive!) Berlei post-surgery bra? You get it for free, mine was given to me by my breastcare nurse before surgery. You'll need to wear that for comfort afterwards.

I was given a leaflet at the hospital with exercises to do after surgery, and I was given a Zonta cushion (a small cushion that you can hang on your shoulder that you can tuck under your arm to keep your arm off your side) by a volunteer after surgery. They were both useful.

Get some food pre-cooked and in the freezer so you can take it easy for a week or two.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If something else occurs I'll let you know! All the very best with your surgery, K xox

PS Hey did you ever get an answer to your chemo question?
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Make sure that everyone knows your reaction to the standard painkiller because tramadol and endone seem to be the go to.  Also, if you have nausea problems with anaesthetic make sure the anaesthetist knows.
    I took loose soft short sleeve pyjamas that buttoned through the front.  I didn't find that I was much at focussing on books so a couple of movies to watch on my laptop (with headphones).  For me, constipation was a HUGE issue post-surgery and the coloxyl didn't really do much so make sure you get on top of it before you leave hospital.  If you've got a fridge in your room, something nice to drink for when you're sick of lemon cordial, or nice teabags if you've got access to a kettle.  And make sure you pack some face wipes - my face felt perpetually greasy in hospital and there's only so many times you can wash it.
    Make sure that the breast care nurse goes through your exercises thoroughly before you leave.
    Trickiest thing to do at home is getting things on and off the clothesline.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    I remember I had a big housework session and washed sheets and towels. Stocked up the cupboards and freezer. Have you got your driver organised to take you home? Depending on your surgery you may have a drain and may need to change bandage pads. Can you contact your breast care nurse anytime for advice on post surgery needs and tips? Best wishes from jennyss
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    For constipation you can’t go past Movicol - available at pharmacies and supermarkets.Is used in nursing homes for bedridden patients.I find very effective and gentle with no tearing/ haemorrhoids and have had lifetime of problems.
  • kmakm
    Options
    I second Movicol.
  • Romla
    Options
    Re your work colleague if you can just quietly explain how much it is distressing you and not helping at this point. Unfortunately a few people need to be educated in this regard.
  • Romla
    Options
    Hopefully your McGrath/breast cancer nurse will supply you with the little pillow @ arpie mentioned as well as a free Berlei post op bra.I didn’t like the latter but had already bought front opening post op bras - no wires/seams - from Target.Later I discovered the ah bra which was even better - you step into it and so comfy. Cheap to buy - called a sports bra too I think - available Best&Less , Target , K mart etc - I bought mine on eBay - they don’t look great but so nice to wear.
  • Romla
    Options
    The little pillow - is made by volunteers I think from Zonta and gifted to bc patients - it’s wonderful to keep arm weight from excision site and is worn over the shoulder and tucked under your arm.

• Romla
    Options
  • arnlybub
    arnlybub Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you suggestions and advice.  @kmakm I was fitted for my ugly bra when I met the McGrath nurse last Tuesday, I also have mum's from when she was done, we're the same size and my mother won't throw anything out because 'it might come in handy' (which I'm grateful for now!), I've never worn a bra without underwire before much less slept in one, so that will take a bit of getting used to.  Mum also gave me her slightly flattened Zonta pillow which I'll keep for driving as I'll be getting a new one in hospital and I'll use that one for sleeping.  

Right, Movicol purchased, meals cooked and frozen, all washing and 2 & 1/2 hours of ironing done (I didn't have the heart to leave that for my sisters to do), a couple of button down the front shirts purchased for appointments etc, and button down the front pyjamas borrowed for hospital.

@Jennyss I have one of my sisters taking me and picking me up from hospital, she's also taking a few days carers leave to look after me and make sure I don't attempt anything I shouldn't.  

I had a practice yesterday of trying to use my hairdryer with my left hand without a lot of success - smacked myself in the head with it a couple of times  :/ but I'll make do.  Luckily I bought a stock of beanies last week so I'll blame any bad hair on hat hair or say I'm trying new styles before I lose it!

@arpie I told every nurse and dr I met at the pre-admission clinic about my painkiller reaction so it's written all over my notes but I'll make sure I tell everyone again while I'm in hospital.

The McGrath nurse also told me I might have a drain attached to take home with me (oh joy) and that a community nurse will then come to my home to check it or clean it - I missed a bit there because I was trying not to vomit at the thought of it  :o.  She then went on to say I would probably have a picc line put in for chemo and by then I was trying hard not to faint!  I should have bought myself some big girl pants while I was shopping yesterday.

@kmakm I didn't get any answers re chemo apart from every professional being positive I was going to have it.

Last Monday I put a call in to the Cancer Council for a referral to a financial planner to help me with an application to access some of my super as I've only been in my job for a bit over 12 months and after this round of surgery and recovery I won't have any leave at all left.  So any time off I need for chemo will be unpaid.  I'm starting an application for sickness benefits with Centrelink so it will be ready to press 'go' if I need it and if it's approved at least it will cover my rent if nothing else.  Hoping I hear back this week from Cancer Council so I can speak with someone.  When i contacted my super fund they were really helpful and got the forms to me immediately, unfortunately it's not up them but DHS which I'm sure you know can be a nightmare to deal with.

Right enough about me, how is everyone else doing??

Thanks again everyone for your help xx  

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Good luck @arnlybub
  • kmakm
    Options
    @arnlybub You are super organised! Keep your eyes on the prize: kicking cancer in the bum. All the very best and I hope your op goes smoothly. K xox
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Good luck @ arnlybub sounds like you've got everything sorted ! 
    I found the soft sports bras from best n less the most comfortable ! Especially for sleeping in , $10 each can't go wrong 
    let us know how you go 
    hugs xx