Mammograms

Ingridb
Ingridb Member Posts: 1
hi all. I’m due for my mammogram. I was diagnosed three years ago and am very fortunate to be cancer free. I’m trying to find somewhere on the Mornington peninsula that offers free mammograms after you have had breast cancer. I’ve rang three or four places today and they either don’t do them or are waiting for staff to be available. MIA charge a fortune and I find it sad that you can get free mammograms before being diagnosed but not after

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    It's so odd isn't it? I'm sorry I'm unable to help. Best of luck and yay for cancer free! K xox
  • magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    My mammos were sometimes free and sometimes I had to pay - no idea why.  I am at 6 years now and hoping I can just go back to Breastscreen regularly.  There is a radiographer here who does all sorts of scans bulk billed but they don't do mammograms.
    It should be free for everyone, anyone - it's the best chance of keeping people alive and cancer free.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I just don't get why so many screening type tests are not free or more heavily subsidised. It's been proven time and time again that prevention/early intervention is much cheaper than the alternative. It seems like false economy to me.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    I have neverhad a free mammogram.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Try Peter Mac. It's a bit of a haul, admittedly, but they seem to be able to do things a bit differently than most hospitals when it comes to costs.