Hormone receptive breast cancer

Trikki2
Trikki2 Member Posts: 297
Hi there 
I'm having surgery on the 18th May on right breast to remove lumps. How much time off work so people usually have? I'm having a breast reduction at the same time.
Regards Tracey 

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Trikki2, and welcome. Every person is different, and our reactions to surgery are also different.  It could also depend on the sort of work you do. I had a Wide local excision and full node clearance, then a re-excision a few days later. I had a total of 4 weeks off after surgery, as I was in a pretty physical job at the time. Some only have a couple of weeks off.

Have you ordered or received a My Journey kit yet?

It's a scary time, but their is a lot of support here
  • Trikki2
    Thanks for replying. I forgot to mention my work. I work in a preschool 2-6 years of age. So I'm having removing lumps and 2 nodes and breast reduction. I have just begun reading the my journey kit. It's great. I'm thinking I may need more than 2 weeks off but we will see. Hoping you are ok xxx
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @Trikki2 I have just had 2 weeks off after a lump removed & sentinel node biopsy .
    Feel great and could probably go back to work next week ,but I've got that off as well.
    As you are having a breast reduction you may need more time ! 
    Good luck xx 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I had 4wks off with a lumpectomy and full node clearance. The second time I had a mastectomy and 3 wks off.I was a nurse at the time.I was told I couldn’t drive for at least 2wks.We are all different but I felt I really needed the 3 wks off.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Trikki2 I had a lumpectomy first and then just had a day off, then I had a partial mastectomy and had a week off and then finally had a right sided mastectomy with auxiliary lymph node removal and had to have 3 weeks off - the removal of the lymph nodes was the worst and it will depend on your job. I’m a veterinary Nurse so I had to take my time going back to work xoxoox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Trikki2,

I had WLE then re excision and full node clearance.  I already had 3wks holidays booked and was diagnosed the Friday before them.  Some holiday huh?  I had 4 months off, purely because I could and I wanted to see how chemo was going to go before I went back. Physically, from the surgery side of things, I think I would have been ok after 4wks. The extra time was good to get my head around a lot of things and not concentrate on anything else.  It just depends how you feel really.  

xoxoxo
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    My surgery is May 18 too! Wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy. I have booked 2 wks leave as suggested by my surgeon/breast care nurse/RO. 
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    edited May 2018
    Hi @Trikki2 - I had a double mastectomy with full node clearance on one side and I was driving and back at work two weeks later. My job however, is very sedentary - all I really need is a brain and a computer (and the computer was a given) - in fact I have to remind myself to stand up and go for a walk otherwise I could be sitting all day, so it really made no difference whether I was sitting on a chair at my desk at home or sitting on a chair at my desk in the office. 
    You didn't mention your role at the Preschool but if you're an educator I would imagine that you might need to be lifting kids, pulling resources off shelves, picking things up from the floor, reaching up high for stuff, having kids sitting on your lap etc? Might find you need to ease back into that sort of thing a bit more slowly.
    Best of luck with everything - this community is the most amazing place to meet incredible and inspirational people - it's helped me so much!
    Let us know how you go :smile: xxxx 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I think with a breast reduction as well you will need a couple of weeks off. I had a bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction so was in a lot of pain until magically at week 5 it was gone. I wasn't permitted to drive for 3 weeks as the muscle was cut. A refuction is quite different but I'd allow a bit if time to revover. A work colleague had a breast enlargement and lift recently. She returned to work at 3 weeks but still had issues for another 2. 
    I guess it all varies on tbe procedure and the individual. 
  • Trikki2
    Thanks so much for your insight. I hope you are doing well xxx
  • Trikki2
    Wow what an amazing community here..i will certainly let you know how I am going. Yes my role is lifting children and often they run right into you. Well we will see one day at a time. Love to you all x
  • Trikki2
    I will be thinking of you joeyliz on the 18th. We can smash this out together xxx