Support for exercise, diet and healthy lifestyle

Options
jennyss
jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
Dear BCNA Network buddies,
Thanks to @soldiercrab I have heard about the YWCA 'Encore' program and Cancer Council 'Enrich'. These programs won't be offered in Dubbo till much later in the year. But now I've read about the Cancer Council Healthy Living after Cancer program. According to Cancer Council website
"Our Healthy Living after Cancer program offers free health coaching over the phone, with experienced health consultants.Read more at https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/healthy-living-after-cancer-program ". Might be a good resource: Anybody tried this?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Hit your YMCA up for an Open Door pass for three months. Your Breast Care nurse will help you with the paperwork (they just have to say the membership will be beneficial to you)

It doesn't give you any dedicated support as such, unless you can find a sympathetic trainer who is interested in your case, but it does give you access. If you blend that with the advice from the cancer council and use the gym as a dedicated space to work on yourself it means something, even if it is a bit random, happens,

I strongly recommend the body balance classes--if you leave your ego at the door and resolve to just wave your arms around of you can't get the sequence of moves right you will be fine. There are certain sequences you shouldn't do immediate post mastectomy-such as planks and some of the salutations, but standing on one leg is very good for you, as is the core strength work.

The YMCA don't advertise the open door program, but if you can't afford a membership they have funding for people in our circumstances.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Thanks for the info @Zoffiel. Balance is a problem for me, plus I have weak ankles; so I do some exercises at home for this. I have found YouTube has some great videos - very easy to watch and follow the instructions.