Starting my Journey

Options
tigerbeth
tigerbeth Member Posts: 539

I an a 59 year old married mother of 3 adult sons.

Mammogram 22/3, biopsy 23/3 , results (shit) 26/3,next apt at
Breast Clinic 4/4 hopefully to find out the plan! GP thinks lumpectomy,
radiation , then follow up drugs . Sounds simple ! Not !

Results were Invasive ductal carcinoma (est grade 2) with in
situ ductal carcinoma . Lesion measures 
6 x 8x 10 mm . Small & caught early ,we hope !!

Lots of stuff to get my head around , surgeons, processes , breast
care nurses , public system, choices , work .Overwhelmed !!

Would love advice from anyone with similar experience .

Comments

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi @tigerbeth Glad you have found this forum It is a great place for support and information  I was diagnosed idc in May last year from ultrasound. 11mm of idc with some dcis  Lumpectomy Mid June and radiation 3 weeks starting mid August  Such an emotional time through diagnosis and treatment but each step gives you more info and hopefully your plan will be formulated quickly by your team. The fuller diagnosis comes after surgery when pathology results come in I also had sentinal nodes removed that came back clear I am mid 50's with 2 adult sons  I will pm you later Take a deep breath and we are here for you  hugs xo
  • tigerbeth
    Options
    Thanks @steplightly so glad to have found this forum . Imagined that dealing with my elderly father & turning 60 were going to be my biggest challenges this year ! Wrong ! Hope your journey is going well. Lots of teary moments ! Learning the meaning of words I didn't know existed !! thanks for the hugs x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi @tigerbeth
    If you are used to being an organised person BC can be the pits. Finding out you are on the bus is stressful and first response can be to try and get a grip on the whole situation. Unfortunately, it isn't that simple.

The bloody goal posts keep moving; no one has a crystal ball so treat any opinions as speculation until there is evidence to prove it. Until you know exactly what you are dealing with, it's all guess work which wastes a great deal of energy. My advice is quietly have a look at your sick leave and your income insurance through your super. Don't say too much until you have a better view of the big picture.
    Good luck. Mxx
  • tigerbeth
    Options
    Reading some of the experiences on here I can see the stupid goal posts moving @Zoffiel thanks for  your advice and you picked me in one , usually very organized ! LOL Plenty of sick leave thank heavens .
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi @tigerbeth. Sorry that you find yourself here, but having said that, it's a great place to be. So much knowledge, care and compassion. And the occasional bad pun!

After a routine mammogram I was diagnosed in early December. Upon removal the tumour was found to be 1.6cm. This is good. Less than 2cm is 'small'. I didn't have clear margins so had a re-excision a week later which turned up 4cm of DCIS. There was no spread to the lymph nodes thank goodness. This was explored in what's called a sentinel node biopsy.

At that point I could have proceeded to radiation. But some of my markers were in a grey area, and given my terrible family history, and in consultation with my oncologist, I did a genomic test to see whether chemotherapy would have a curative effect. In case some of those cancer cells were roaming around looking for somewhere else to roost. It came back a definite yes.

So given my small tumour and no lymph node spread I had a type of chemo called TC, which I'm just finishing now. This is given as four doses at three weekly intervals so takes three months.

So that is the sort of thing you might expect with a less than 2cm tumour with no lymph node involvement. But as the ladies above say, your treatment will very much depend on what is found in the pathology. Take your time, do your research, listen to your team and your gut. Use the search function on this forum but remember we're all different and bring our differences to the experience.

It is all so overwhelming at the start. Breathe, and try not to cross the bridges until you come to them. It gets easier once there's a plan. I was a complete mess at the beginning, furious anger for several weeks (read my bio), and then floods of tears for several weeks more. Now, not so much crying but still good days and bad days. I'm four months into this event (I will not use the j word!), and have a way to go yet. Hang in there, and let us know how you get on. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @tigerbeth Try to breathe evenly, take it one step at a time, and don't Dr Google (it's tempting but there be dragons). Come here whenever you need to - it's a sanity saver. @Zoffiel s advice is good. Turn your organisational skills to sorting what you can with things like leave and income protection.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Ditto to all the above and 

• Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    @tigerbeth , l' m about 6 weeks ahead of you with a similar diagnosis.  It's all so traumatic but take a deep breath. I agree, try not to read Dr Google. I did and got myself into a bit of a panic a couple of times.  This forum is fantastic, everyone is so friendly and so understanding. Ask anything, everyone is helpful.
    I had my surgery privately and then moved into public for chemotherapy and will remain in public for radiotherapy.
    My tumour was 14mm, the original plan was  surgery and then radiation. Due to grade 3 diagnosis after surgery, medical team and I decided on chemotherapy .
    Most likely your surgery will be quite soon and then your medical team will work out a plan with you. You need a month for healing so plenty of time for decisions. Through this site I've found someone who started my chemo regime same day (last Monday)as myself, in another city, and others who have finished my chemo. New friends. Lots of advice. It's taken away a lot of my fear, I now know there are others out there in the same position or years ahead doing just great.
    sorry you had to join us, but you couldn't be in a better place. Hugs xx
  • tigerbeth
    Options
    Thanks for your insight @Finch , haven't really googled much , only meaning of words I've never heard of ! Hopefully i'll know more on Wednesday .Its the waiting that is the worst at the moment. Hopefully you are doing well with your treatment .Thanks again xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    @tigerbeth you have so,e great advice so far. Take it a day at a time. Keep us posted how you go. Once you have a plan it will be easier.  Biggest hug. Margie. X
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    everyone has given you great advice above here are some links to  help you 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• tigerbeth
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and hugs ,most appreciated.
    Appointment today at the breast clinic , met with a lovely breast care nurse then a surgeon.
    My plan will be as my GP thought , wide local excision, radiation ,& hormone therapy . I will know my surgery date by Monday hopefully. Can't wait to get this show on the road !!
    Thinking of you all x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    So glad to hear you like your BreastCare nurse and that there's a plan. Let us know how you get on  :)
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    That's good to hear @tigerbeth , all starting to fall into place for you . Hope you get to relax and think of other things over the weekend. I'm trying to guess the name of your rose, is it Lorraine Lea?