Forum Discussion
tigerbeth
8 years agoMember
Starting my Journey
I an a 59 year old married mother of 3 adult sons.
Mammogram 22/3, biopsy 23/3 , results (shit) 26/3,next apt at Breast Clinic 4/4 hopefully to find out the plan! GP thinks lumpectomy, radiation , then follow up drugs . Sounds simple ! Not !
Results were Invasive ductal carcinoma (est grade 2) with in situ ductal carcinoma . Lesion measures 6 x 8x 10 mm . Small & caught early ,we hope !!
Lots of stuff to get my head around , surgeons, processes , breast care nurses , public system, choices , work .Overwhelmed !!
Would love advice from anyone with similar experience .
17 Replies
- SisterMemberGood luck @tigerbeth - Keep us posted.
- tigerbethMember@Finch ,for the life of me I cant remember the name of the rose, I don't think its Lorraine Lee !! I have so many , but I have a list somewhere & will try and find it .
- FinchMemberThat's good to hear @tigerbeth , all starting to fall into place for you . Hope you get to relax and think of other things over the weekend. I'm trying to guess the name of your rose, is it Lorraine Lea?
- kmakmMemberSo glad to hear you like your BreastCare nurse and that there's a plan. Let us know how you get on :)
- tigerbethMemberThank you all for your advice and hugs ,most appreciated.
Appointment today at the breast clinic , met with a lovely breast care nurse then a surgeon.
My plan will be as my GP thought , wide local excision, radiation ,& hormone therapy . I will know my surgery date by Monday hopefully. Can't wait to get this show on the road !!
Thinking of you all x - SoldierCrabMembereveryone has given you great advice above here are some links to help you
Below are a couple of links to help you find your way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet.
It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time.
The what and how thread.
http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1
Breast Care Nurses
https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx
My Journey Kits and other resources.
https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/
BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258
If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call 1800 500 258. The Helpline is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am till 9 pm EST.
- onemargieMember@tigerbeth you have so,e great advice so far. Take it a day at a time. Keep us posted how you go. Once you have a plan it will be easier. Biggest hug. Margie. X
- tigerbethMemberThanks for your insight @Finch , haven't really googled much , only meaning of words I've never heard of ! Hopefully i'll know more on Wednesday .Its the waiting that is the worst at the moment. Hopefully you are doing well with your treatment .Thanks again xx
- FinchMember@tigerbeth , l' m about 6 weeks ahead of you with a similar diagnosis. It's all so traumatic but take a deep breath. I agree, try not to read Dr Google. I did and got myself into a bit of a panic a couple of times. This forum is fantastic, everyone is so friendly and so understanding. Ask anything, everyone is helpful.
I had my surgery privately and then moved into public for chemotherapy and will remain in public for radiotherapy.
My tumour was 14mm, the original plan was surgery and then radiation. Due to grade 3 diagnosis after surgery, medical team and I decided on chemotherapy .
Most likely your surgery will be quite soon and then your medical team will work out a plan with you. You need a month for healing so plenty of time for decisions. Through this site I've found someone who started my chemo regime same day (last Monday)as myself, in another city, and others who have finished my chemo. New friends. Lots of advice. It's taken away a lot of my fear, I now know there are others out there in the same position or years ahead doing just great.
sorry you had to join us, but you couldn't be in a better place. Hugs xx - Brenda5MemberSame sort I had but I had a single mastectomy and although they vowed my sentinel lymph node would be clear, it turned out it wasn't and I required first lymph nodes out in a second surgery to get the all clear. Its a rotten thing to have but just think of it as a reset button. You might have died had it not been diagnosed but now it will be blasted with treatment and you will be good to go another few decades hopefully nasty cancer free. :)