bra after reconstruction

Options
danielle ghilardi
danielle ghilardi Member Posts: 204
edited September 2011 in Day to day

After my mastectomies and immediate reconstruction my plastic surgeon insisted i had to wear a bra following my opperation.

I did not think he was serious, does he not know how much pain i am in... a bra no way.

It was then that i saw the ahh bra being advertised on tv. I went out in search of a cheaper brand as i could not afford the tv bra.

I have found that all the department stores have replicated there own ahh bra and they are much much cheaper. It is so comfortable and no underwires or hooks it is great. I recommend to any one that is having breast recon with silicone implants to purchase one. I had brought so many different sports bras before i found my new little secret so hopefully this helps some one out.

Danielle xx

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Danielle, I'm booked in for Wednesday 28th, September and following my breast cancer scare last week, I know I'm making the right decision to have a prophylactic mastectomy at the same time as the reconstruction.
    Chris xxx
  • danielle ghilardi
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree thats why i decided to have both removed i never wanted the scare again so for you to have that scare i imagine the surgery could not come quick enough. Do you have some one that can help you around the house after you get home from hospital?

I wish you all the best for your operation and a smooth recovery.

Danielle xx

• Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Danielle, I'm very lucky with help. I have 4 adult children and a husband, all who will help, plus parents and a mother in law who all live nearby. You are right, the surgery can't come fast enough. Chris xx
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Danielle, I'm very lucky with help. I have 4 adult children and a husband, all who will help, plus parents and a mother in law who all live nearby. You are right, the surgery can't come fast enough. Chris xx
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Rikki Leigh
    Rikki Leigh Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris,

What kind of reconstruction are you having. I have had a right mastectomy and flap reconstruction in 1998, cancer free for 13 years. A couple of weeks ago I found a lump in my left breast, going to Dr tomorrow. I am trying not to worry, but deep down I am 'shit scared' of those words again 'you've got cancer'. I have been thinking about have the left breast off. Let you know how I go.

Cheers, Rikki

• Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Rikki, so sorry to hear that you have another lump and will need to go through more tests to find out what it is. I hope it is benign, like my second scare was. I really understand what you are going through.
    I have looked at all the different types of reconstruction and though I think the DIEP would give the best results, it is such a major operation when both breasts are done. Could be up to 12 hours in length, so I have opted for tissue expanders and implants. I'm a good candidate for this type of reconstruction due to the fact that both breasts will be done, which make it easier to match them, I'm only a size B cup and I haven't had radiotherapy. Did you have the TRAM or Latissimus Dorsi reconstruction? I had decided to have a prophylactic mastectomy a month ago, and before seeing my surgeon had a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. A lump was found on ultrasound, and I needed to have a core biopsy and wait 2 scary days for the results. This is exactly the same as 9 months ago
    when I was first diagnosed. I was sure I had cancer again and would need chemo again. Fortunately it
    turned out to be benign, just like 9 out of 10 lumps are.

However, like you, I was terrified of hearing those words, " you have breast cancer" again. This scare has given me absolute certainty that my decision for a prophylactic mastectomy is the right thing for me to do. The anxiety of annual checks would be too great, and as both lumps were not visible on mammograms, I would always doubt the results of a clear mammogram.
  • danielle ghilardi
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Rikki,

I just read your post that you have a new lump. I am awfully sorry fingers crossed that it is benign. You must be pretty scared i hope that you are ok Danielle xx

• Rikki Leigh
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris,

Thankyou for your response and support. I had a TRAM and very happy with the results. Will keep everyone updated on my blog.

Take care

Rikki

• Rikki Leigh
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Danielle,

Thankyou for your support. Did you get my message about the running festival. Keep everyone updated on my blog.

Hopefully see you on the weekend

Rikki

• Rikki Leigh
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris,

I had my reconstruction 13 years ago so things may have improved in that time. The operation was about 6 hours and I did have a very weak stomach but since going to a personal trainer my stomach muscles are much stronger. I couldn't do very much for 6 weeks after the op and have an awesome scar. After saying all this, I am happy with it overall, and as I mentioned things may have improved in 13 years. Hope I have been of some help. My mobile number was in a recent reply if you would like to speak any further.

Take care, Rikki