Drain Removal

Kiwi Angel
Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
Just had the community nurse come and take my drain out just about 1 week post right sided mastectomy with auxiliary node removal. Had one out before when I had breast sparing surgery but knew it would be worse this time after the node removal but holy hell - did anyone else find this excruciating??? Screamed, let out a few choice words, just about cried, paced around and then had to hang my head between my knees for awhile so I didn’t pass out or throw up!!

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,353
    I imagine it may be different for everyone but no, that seems odd. I had a mastectomy and axillary clearance, with two drains and I can't say I felt much at all when they were taken out. Hurt a bit when I tripped can over them, but just felt relieved when they came out. However mine were taken out a bit sooner - if anything had started to heal over, it may make a difference. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Afraser She mentioned that there was not much fat and I heal fast so could be part of it. 
  • duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    I had my drain taken out 1 week after axillary clearance and didn’t feel a thing! I had to ask the surgeon whether it was out or not! My husband was with me and he was shocked at how long the tube was! 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hmm. Was the  suction released for a couple of minutes before removing?
    I'm sorry that happened. Mine fell out on day 7. Didn't feel a thing
  • Kiwi Angel
    She did release the suction for while and it was a very long tube. I was obviously just unlucky and it had settled in too much. Didn’t want to come out she said
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I got 'stuck' to one. I didn't like it. No. Not one bit.
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Zoffiel we must of had the same problem. One of the worst pains I have ever experienced in my life. 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Drain came out fine but the sutures... Freak'n' OW. I healed quickly & they'd fused. Much screaming, clenching and cold sweats. Nearly threw up/passed out too.
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Molly001. I’m glad I’m not the only one - that was the same feeling I had - total immediate swears as well as everything else. Until u and @Zoffiel commented I thought I was the only one that had this horror experience. I now have a total drain phobia!!
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    I was expecting the worst as drain removal from previous abdominal surgeries years ago was really painful.  I stressed about the mastectomy drains coming out especially a whopper on my side near my ribs which snaked up to my collar bone!  I was told to take a deep breath and the nurse pulled it out at the same time. Absolutely no problem.  Sorry you had to experience that, it is a horrible pain if you are one of the unlucky ones.
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Hopes_and_Dreams mine was in a similar spot and it was unfortunately a horrible pain. I thought is would be comparable to my other drain removal which was uncomfortable but this was excruciating
  • Cynth6
    Cynth6 Member Posts: 189
    Mine didn’t hurt that much at all
    When coming out but I had one drain in for 5 weeks ! 
    Hopefully you’re feeling better now. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    My second one was weak at the knees stuff and it had only been in for less than a week (but it was the one I yanked tried to get around the bed).
  • Kiwi Angel
    @Cynth6 feeling much better now thanks - nice to not have to cart it round anymore. @Sister - ow!!!!  
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It must have been sitting close to a nerve. Oh well, its done and gone now. Onwards and upwards! <3