Mere mortals

Options
donnaelizabeth
donnaelizabeth Member Posts: 13
edited August 2011 in Health and wellbeing

One of the outcomes of living with breast cancer is to realise I'm not here forever. I don't assume that I'll have a long life any more. Perfectly healthy young people assume they've got ample time to live and have the life they've dreamed, but even these healthy individuals might be dignosed with a difficult live changing illness today. The fact is we will all die one day, when and how is the only unknown detail.

I prefer to make more medium term plans and make the most of today. Work, play, nurturing relationships, the way things are, hopes and plans for the coming year, like new interests, using free time wisely.

How do I want to celebrate Christmas this year?What to do with four weeks of annual leave. Who can I invite to share lunch with me on my work day? How can I make a difference and live a full and meaningful life.

Comments

• monica
    monica Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is how we all should live our lives it is sad that it takes an illness to wake us up to what is important. I fall in the same category untill 2 months ago when  I was diagnosed with early breast cancer now my perspective of life has change and my priorities have seriously shifted. Now I am enjoying everylitlle thing from waking up inthe morning and taking my daughter to school even if I'm stuck in traffic ,once upon a time that used to drive me up the wall , now it means I have more time to chat to my lovely daughter. I make sure that I make time for a walk and to read that book or watch that movie and i always make time to catchup with my friends for a coffee.

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Embrace each day with as much energy as u can muster (some days are tougher-especially if ur in the throws of treatment). I enjoy so many more lunches with friends now, no work for me (only housework!) enjoying after school activities with the kids, weekend family time and a husband who has a great job which allows flexibility so he can come to appointments etc. We have enjoyed so much more quality time in the last 20 months together-they are the important things and they are the times that our loved ones will remember when we are no longer here by their side. No-one knows when that will happen (and certainly hope its a long way off yet) but with advanced cancer like mine it is always in the back of my mind. I have already made some plans for my 'last day' so  family & friends can celebrate rather than be sad. It's a way of having some feeling of control as when ur body has cancer u feel u haven't got a say in how it will turn out. U can just go thru the motions of treatment, be positive  about the outcome and look to enjoying each day.Well, i'm off to enjoy the sunshine on this gogeous day!

Take care

Sam :)

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Embrace each day with as much energy as u can muster (some days are tougher-especially if ur in the throws of treatment). I enjoy so many more lunches with friends now, no work for me (only housework!) enjoying after school activities with the kids, weekend family time and a husband who has a great job which allows flexibility so he can come to appointments etc. We have enjoyed so much more quality time in the last 20 months together-they are the important things and they are the times that our loved ones will remember when we are no longer here by their side. No-one knows when that will happen (and certainly hope its a long way off yet) but with advanced cancer like mine it is always in the back of my mind. I have already made some plans for my 'last day' so  family & friends can celebrate rather than be sad. It's a way of having some feeling of control as when ur body has cancer u feel u haven't got a say in how it will turn out. U can just go thru the motions of treatment, be positive  about the outcome and look to enjoying each day.Well, i'm off to enjoy the sunshine on this gogeous day!

Take care

Sam :)

• donnaelizabeth
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Monica,

You describe a great attitude to enjoy each day a marvel it.

• donnaelizabeth
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Samantha,

Sounds like you've got a great combination of living, loving and appreciating each day. Thanks for your thoughts.