Femara/ Letrozole and smelly urine .

Options
Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
Is it possible that this drug can cause one’s urine to become malodorous? Mine is noticeably rank and will be discussing with my onc at next appointment in 3 weeks.I have no pain passing urine or kidney pain - it is asparagus season and now it can cause smelly urine ( seriously) or maybe I have a urinary tract infection but no fever or any other issues.

Comments

• Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello. I never had this issue. I had a UTI a few weeks ago when I was on a trial at Peter Mac and on other medication. I had little pain but smelly urine occasionally. Please go to your GP if possible and they can check it for you just in case. With best wishes. Xxx 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Ahhhhh!  Asparagus season doesn't it make the pee smell?   As to smelly pee on meds, yes I occasionally get that and when I do I make sure I drink cranberry juice.  There's no pain like a UTI just smelly like you've been holding on for way too long and eaten a bowl of asparagus (when I haven't).............it doesn't last so I just see it as a reminder to up the fluids!  Hope that's all it is for you and nothing more!
    Take care x
  • Romla
    Options
    Thanks for the tip @iserbrown - will get it checked hopefully just my addiction to fresh asparagus - will increase my water intake too as walk daily on hilly terrain for an hour in an spray jacket and notice am saturated on my return as is warmingup
  • Romla
    Options
    Guess anxiety always just under the surface after a Cancer diagnosis
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I've been on Femara for four and a half years  and never had that problem. Which isn't to say the medication can't interact badly with something else but I would get it checked if it continues. Probably something you've eaten. Asparagus may make urine smell but there's nothing like that heart jolt when you see red urine, until you remember the delicious dish of beetroot you consumed last night! 
  • Romla
    Options
    Thanks for putting things in perspective @Afraser - hopefully my skittishness to any bodily tweak lessens  as time rolls on 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Ah no, I think we have learned the hard way to listen to our bodies! Anything that lingers is worth a check. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Romla, I reckon the Anxiety is lurking just waiting for an opportunity to rear it's ugly head!!! Hope you're all good and that the asparagus is the culprit. Xx 
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Just a thought @Romla. Many of us try fish or krill oil to combat the effects of Femara etc. If you have started taking fish or krill oil this can cause smelly urine too. xxx
  • Romla
    Options
    Thanks Deanne for the tip - have krill oil at hand but have yet to take it as managing ok with walking and Caltrate Bone Health - think the culprit is my newly acquired addiction to fresh asparagus but am monitoring it .Seems now am ever alert for any changes in my body and might be a permanent thing.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Hi @Romla
    Ahhhh - that wonderful smell of fresh asparagus !  Thinking that might be the culprit and stay with that thought until you see the oncologist - but keep up the asparagus as it is one of life's little pleasures.
    Summer  :)