Good news from oncologist

Options
sandramj
sandramj Member Posts: 253
i saw my oncologist on Wednesday and expected to hear bad news, so had a huge list of questions to ask.  I felt so nervous for a few weeks before I phoned I moved my blood tests and appointment 
forward by a week after speaking with my GP.  
My hubbie came with me as I wanted to be prepared for the news unlike the two major appointments before. Breastscreen diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma then after surgery feeling confident cancer would be contained in the one tumour, only to find out it as in one lymph node and changing cells in another. Both times I was feeling positive (overly in retrospect) so this time I was in my armour ready for the assault.
But, to my sheer amazement oncologist delivered to totally unexpected results that my blood tests and all results were positively as good as they could be saying the surgery, treatments had and were working.
so CANCER IS JUST A WORD sometimes, NOT a Sentence always. 
Sutting in the room hearing the words, I had nothing!  Nothing to say. Nothing to ask!  Nothing. Dumbfounded I think. It was the same shock, surreal, numb feeling I'd had those previous two times BUT this was fantastic news. 
I questioned myself for the rest of the day why I wasn't ecstatic- why wasn't I "over the moon" but I wasn't. I felt flat when I should have been jumping through hoops, dancing, singing...  I'm wondering now if that, like the anxiousness before the 6month results is normal?
I had two glasses of my favourite sparkling Asti Ricadonna over lunch at home and text family & friends the good news. Posted gr8 news on Facebook and sat bewildered for the rest of the day contemplating what now lay ahead as it seemed I would be able to live healthily (cancer free) for a while yet so the other plans and thoughts of moving, downsizing, doing my bucket list quickly were not urgent. 
Amazing how differently I feel on this side of this journey so far than I did one week ago. 
The whole time I've been living with this breast cancer I have not been able to connect with it - not the tumour or the nodes and I wirriedwhy that was as I'd previously been able to connect to the damaged parts of my body to heal. Maybe it was because after surgery then the radiation the cancer really was gone. There was NOTHING to connect to. 
Ill be staying in this wonderful online forum as breast cancer is like being alcoholic or addict  - it never leaves you, you need to be aware of any symptoms or crises that may cause it to reappear. Int he meantime live life more healthily, physically, mentally and spiritually to make the most of every day of the rest of our life.  
Breastsurgeon appointment tomorrow but not expecting anything negative there. Onward and upward from here. 
Thanks for all the support here and I hope my news give you all positive reinforcement that there is always hope.  

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had ultrasounds a few months ago and we thought I had a swelling under my armpit but the tests showed not. I was very happy but still in the back of my mind I was thinking they might have just missed it. Tests the end of this month should reveal if they were right or wrong. Once bitten, twice shy. <3

• Brenleigh
    Brenleigh Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Great news, I can completely understand the disconnect to the CANCER diagnosis. All through this experience I feel like it’s not happening to me. Now that I’m coming to the end of my treatment, still to have radiotherapy. I am wondering what now? My oncologist is adamant I no longer have cancer!  I am going back to work this week just to feel some normality. Life now has a lot of uncertainty about it. Time to put me first I think.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Fantastic news.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Congratulations @sandramj, I’m so happy to hear your good news.  Jane xx
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Amazing! So happy for you x
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Well done that's awesome news
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    @Brenleigh absolutely time to put yourself first!  Look after you and you can then look after whatever &/or whoever also needs looking after.