Metal staples.

Options
AllyJay
AllyJay Member Posts: 943
I had a bilateral mastectomy in April this year. I've recently had mega problems with both my shoulders, but more severely, the right one. I was sent off for xrays and an ultrasound as an outpatient. When I saw the report and the x rays, I was shocked (to put it mildly), that I have dozens of metal staples on both sides, internal. Apparently used to control bleeding. Note, these are not just one or two little thingies used to target radiotherapy. It looks like two handfuls of glow-in-the-dark rice have been scattered over my upper chest on the x rays. Fair enough if this is common practice, but I wish I had been told. I don't know if I'll set of metal detectors at places like the airport? Does anybody else have all this metal hardware left in them?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yes. And I wasn't told about them either. I've had hell trouble with cording and scarring and seroma, then I find out after a PET scan the affected area is full of shrapnel. 

Cause and effect? Who knows, but given the vigour with which my body attacks any intruders--implants, ports, undisolved stitches etc I'm leaning toward them contributing to my current woes. I'm assuming they are there for a very valid reason but it is Just One More Bloody Thing.
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I read in the information sheets that I was given on the day of all of my multitude of tests prior to diagnosis at Breast Screen QLD that they shoot those metal markers in when they do the biopsies to make it easier to find the spots when they go in for surgery, they said they're harmless and if no mastectomy done, then they're left there. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Clean up as you go may not be a surgery thing, but perhaps it should be. Like being told I couldn't have a test before surgery as I would be radioactive and that wasn't good - for the doctors!  I've had some terrific medical practitioners, but occasionally come across something that puts you squarely into the objectified problem position. Could liven up an airport departure though, as long as you are not sprinting for the plane!! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Wonder if it would be a probkem having a mri?
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Oh, so NOT cool! I wonder how many of us mastectomy ladies are walking around with a chest full of steel confetti completely unawares. Eeeew
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Yes I found out about my staples when I had to have a chest xray for a stubborn cough. When I mentioned it to the surgeon, she kind of just said yes they are there but they won't give you any problems. It was no big deal to her, but I think something like that should be mentioned, after all, it is my body and I should know exactly what has been done to it. I have been through metal detectors at the airport since then with no trouble though!