Forum Discussion
Kombigirl
9 years agoMember
Hello just diagnosed
Hello everyone, I'm From Brisbane.
I had my diagnosis given to me by my GP on Monday, who confirmed BC.
Last week I had a CT with contrast scan for my lungs.
A mass was seen on the breast which I already had reported to my GP and which I was scheduled to have tested the following week.
They brought my Mammo and US forward to last week.
I had a core biopsy of the lump (local hurt like hell!) and biopsy of a lymph node.
Here are some parts of the pathology reports:
Invasive metastatic carcinoma grade 2 to 3
Mass 32x23x29cm
I have been referred to the Mater public hospital and I'm waiting to hear back.
My question is how long did you have to wait to see the specialist and then how long to set a date for surgery?
I have a trip to Holland with my mother scheduled for late October and I don't know whether to cancel the trip or bring it forward and go now.
Any info would be highly appreciated.
I had my diagnosis given to me by my GP on Monday, who confirmed BC.
Last week I had a CT with contrast scan for my lungs.
A mass was seen on the breast which I already had reported to my GP and which I was scheduled to have tested the following week.
They brought my Mammo and US forward to last week.
I had a core biopsy of the lump (local hurt like hell!) and biopsy of a lymph node.
Here are some parts of the pathology reports:
Invasive metastatic carcinoma grade 2 to 3
Mass 32x23x29cm
I have been referred to the Mater public hospital and I'm waiting to hear back.
My question is how long did you have to wait to see the specialist and then how long to set a date for surgery?
I have a trip to Holland with my mother scheduled for late October and I don't know whether to cancel the trip or bring it forward and go now.
Any info would be highly appreciated.
18 Replies
- KombigirlMemberThanks Jailbirdstreet,
I know I've been reading a few blogs and it looks like a lo----ng road ahead. xx - Hi Kombigirl, if you can bring the trip forward and go, I would, but be aware they will probably want you to have more tests. I was diagnosed with a smiliarly sized invasive tumour on 1 Feb and they had me in surgery on 24 Feb. Mind you, I was treated at Ipswich and they had me in surgery before I could even see a surgeon at the Mater, so there is a 'window' but I would guess they will want to get it out soon. All the best, having fun when you can is a great coping skill for what is ahead! Which isn't all bad x
- KombigirlMemberHi Lesley,
Thank you for your good advice. :)
I may hold off cancelling our trip until my appointment, my gut is telling me to, as I still have time until we're meant to fly out.
Wishing you all the best with your upcoming diagnosis. <3 I'm sorry it's already been such a long road for you.
I too have a few compounding issues not related to breast cancer that may need to be addressed prior to treatment.
Ange xx - nonkyboyMemberHi @Kombigirl, I was diagnosed in early June and had surgery three months later on 13th September. In between the biopsy and surgery I had multitudes of scans, X-rays , blood tests and specialist appointments so definitely the time was filled. I'm a little complicated as I have many other chronic illnesses not related to the breast cancer that all needed to be stable before surgery could go ahead. I find out my diagnosis from my surgery post surgery next week. It's been a very long 3.5 months.I would advise you to hold off on your plans at this stage until you see your surgeon. If you are only going overseas for a couple of weeks they may be happy to hold off on surgery but if it's for a long period they may advise you to cancel. At least once they see you they can give you a letter so you don't lose your money on the tickets if that's the case. All the best xx Lesley
- KombigirlMemberThank you everyone. It sounds like its all going to be quick. Best wishes to you all. <3
- onemargieMemberHi there kombi girl I'm north side of brissy and had my surgery within two weeks of my diagnosis at Redcliffe hospital. I'd ring the mater and ask for a date. You will need to see the surgeon to see what he or she recommends regarding your surgery and will also need to see the oncologist to see what he or she recommends treatment or not then you will know what you can do about your holiday. I started my chemo I think it was two weeks after my surgery from memory. It it will depend on what the oncol says Hope this helps. Margie ❤️
- CycloMemberHi kombigirl I was diagnosed 1 week before a walking holiday in Tasmania just before Xmas 2016. My surgeon gave me the option , surgery or holiday , and I chose surgery as I wouldn't have been able to stop worrying about BC and how I would manage. Surgery was only a few days after diagnosis. I finished treatment in march and have been recovering very well. I'm about to have a holiday to japan on Sunday and I'm really glad I can leave BC behind and that I feel really well. Good luck with the specialist.
- primekMemberI was 1 week to see a surgeon as it was over Xmas /NY. My surgery was scheduled 20 days later (I had bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction ) and started chemo within 6 weeks....so hmm...I think you well might need to postpone your holiday. Kath x
- AfraserMemberI was two days from biopsy results to surgery - so no time for anything really. I don't regret it, I was glad to have treatment as soon as possible. I can imagine how disappointing it may be to cancel your trip but I agree with Zoiffiel, it may be less enjoyable with uncertainty. But then again, the trip may be very special for your mother and timing may be all. You will know much more after your next consultation. Very best wishes.
- KombigirlMemberJust got the call to see the specialist on the 9th of October. 2 weeks from my diagnosis so that's good. The trip is definitely off now.