Great, good and I'm not sure

Options
Nat79
Nat79 Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm 37 and have unfortunately joined the BC journey.
1 month after having a breast check by my GP (nothing suspicious felt) I discovered a lump on my right breast.  Fast forward to 10th August I underwent a mastectomy of my right breast and auxiliary clearance. Pathology results have come back. 5cm grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma (I knew this already from ultrasound, mammogram and core biopsy), and high grade ductal carcinoma in situ (not detected on ultrasound and mammogram) taking total tumor mass to 8.5cm.  All 11 lymph nodes were clear. Tested negative to hormone receptors and negative to Her 2.  I'm having a CT scan and bone scan 1st Sept before meeting with my oncologist.  Are there any other scans that I should ask for before my chemo treatment begins?

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Given that no-one wants to be here at all, welcome and hooray for no affected nodes. Scans sound much the same as mine (similar treatment but one malignant node) but others here will be able to advise if they have found something else useful. Best wishes for your chemo treatment - it can be arduous but every treatment is one nearer the end.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    @Nat79, welcome, but sorry you're in  the club too. Bone scan and ct scan are routine. Chemo is not as bad as you think it may be. It's a long haul but one day at a time. 
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi @Nat79 bugger, sorry you've joined us. That's great news about the nodes.  It sounds like you're having the same sort of scans I had too. Have you been given a kit yet? There's some really good literature about treatments, what might happen when, etc. etc.  I'm pretty sure you can get some good reading from this website too.  Just avoid Dr Google, it can scare you more than is warranted.  One day at a time, like LMK74 says.
  • Nat79
    Nat79 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you ladies.  Yes I have my kit and have had a few meetings with my Breast Care Nurse.  She has been wonderful.  I learnt very quickly to stay away from Dr Google.  Was just wondering if any other scans would be beneficial at this point in time.
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi @Nat79 and unfortunately welcome.
    Your Oncologist will probably want you to have blood tests before starting chemotherapy.
    mine gave me a referral with 6 repeats on it to have on hand as you have a blood test after every chemo cycle. If you have anything come up abnormal you may have more than one between cycles.
    Depending on the type of Chemo you will be having, you may be sent for an Echocardiogram to check your heart. I did because one of the possible long term side effects of the first chemo was heart damage and my family had a history of heart problems.
    Your Oncologist may ask you if you have any family history of various problems, so it may pay to check with the family if you don't know. It wasn't until I started asking that I found out that both my parents and my sister have arrhythmia, my uncle has a pacemaker and my grandfather had a history of heart problems before dying of a heart attack.
    You might like to see the dentist for a clean if you are due, not something you will want to do on chemo.
    I also was due for an eye test which I was glad I had as chemo really mucked around with my vision for the first two weeks after chemo on the first type (FEC)

Good luck with your on going treatment.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    That's the scans I had also. Mine were done pre surgery as they were keen to check all that out.  I think as I was from country area why they rushed the scans so I didn't have to come back. Tou will have your treatment plan soon and most likely chemotherapy. Another thing to look at is genetic testing at some stage or at least a referral to discuss risks. It doesn't change current treatments just what you might want to do in tbe future. Kath x