prosthesis shopping

Options
Julia44
Julia44 Member Posts: 361
edited December 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all,

I went in to the city(Sydney) this week to get fitted for a prosthesis.  The fitter was great and I felt better immediately having two breasts again.  I had also been suffering from shoulder and neck pain for last two weeks and they said that it was from being out of balance(having 1 large breast), I still feel sore wearing a bra even though last surgery was 6 weeks ago and 2 1/2 months since the dreaded axillary clearance which has caused me many problems.

I also bought a mastectomy swimsuit and another "swimming" prosthesis, as I will be enrolling in the Encore programme to help with my recovery.  So good at least to be able to look normal when I feel like it.

Julia

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes,you feel and look more normal when you get fitted for the prosthesis.It's so much better than the soft form.I sewed triangles of lace onto my low neckline tops to resemble a fake cami.I know my cleavage days are over but didn't want to part with my favourite clothes.I did aqua aerobics after my auxillary surgery and it really helped.It does take awhile to get full range back in your arm.

Tonya xx

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yep thanks,

I bought 3 different coloured (can't sew!) little flaps from the prosthesis place which attach to your bra, so you can still wear lower necklines.  While I was greatful for the free mastecomy bra from berlei, I could not get the amount of stuffing right and it was always out of whack with my real one so looked stupid!

Julia