In the Beginning...

Options
Heather B
Heather B Member Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in Newly diagnosed

Monday 4th July 2011 - Got a letter in the mail from BreastScreen

Wednesday 6th July 2011 - Core Biopsy

Monday 11th July 2011 - Results are positive. I have an Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, early stage.  The breast care nurse was fantastic & told me to order My Journey Kit.  I went home & did that - it has subsequently been my life saver!  Highly recommended.

Thursday 14th July 2011 - went to visit a brilliant Surgeon ... anyone in Templestowe or Mitcham area & beyond, this guy is human, funny, caring... great!

... an awful rollercoaster ride... continued to work as normal... I look back now & don't know how I got through this time.  Thank God it was only about a week & a half.  I don't know how anyone could stay sane with anything longer...

Tuesday 26th July 2011 - Surgery

Thursday 28th July 2011 - Results are all good.  He cut it out & lymph nodes are free of cancer!

Wednesday 27th July 2011 - discharged from hospital & entire family turn up on my doorstep for dinner!!!  All 10 of them, including grandkids!!  I'm not ungreatful, but... I had not planned Christmas in July to be at my place this year (sarcasm).

Monday 1st August 2011 - Blood vessel burst in armpit (while I was resting).  Unbelievably painful & unexpected.  I now have a massive, high pressured clot that has imobilised my left arm! 

.... that's it to date.  I'm so lucky that mine is all good news & I should be back to work in a fortnight, just in time to start daily radiotherapy.  Prognosis for me is brilliant.  Everyone has been very supportive, Doctors, Nurses, Friends & especially family!

I'm spreading the news, check yourself on the first day of every month.  If you are over 50, go to the BreastScreen appointments - that's how mine was found...

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Heather -- welcome and thanks for sharing your story.  Glad to hear things are going well for you so far and you're getting plenty of support.  :)