Do you worry about your cancer coming back?

Options
Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
If the answer is yes, you're not alone. Feeling anxious and frightened about breast cancer returning is very common for people who have had breast cancer. 

We've produced a video about how to cope with the fear of recurrence.

Check out the video here: https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/fear-of-cancer-recurrence/

And then come back and talk to us. What makes you afraid that your breast cancer may come back? How do you manage your anxieties? Are videos like these helpful?
Tagged:

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Thanks Cosette, that was really great to watch, and a story I think we can all identify with! xo
  • Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    Options
    I was really anxious as i approached the 2 year mark due to what i perceived to be a family trait. Booked a holiday in the months prior so i had something else to think about. Ongoing swimming helps as does spending time with friends and family.
  • Pinkkittykat
    Pinkkittykat Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for putting this video out, I can identify with Kim, it's always lurking there the fear of it returning, likewise I am very anxious about my upcoming mammogram! 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Does anyone not worry about yearly tests? If so, what's your secret? I can be totally rational and almost relaxed year round, but get nervous and prone to weird pains, twinges and what have you 2 or 3 weeks before my annual tests. Given 5 years in October, all going well, I'll possibly start pinging in July!!
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    5 years for me in June still think about it often

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It's made me realise the fear is for life. We just have to learn to live with it, another part of this survivorship I guess.  :'(
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Que sera sera whatever will be will be. The futures not ours to see. I beat it once so if it happens I have the strength to fight on.
  • KathnMad
    KathnMad Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Good videos, its good to know others have felt the same along the way. I am just at the 1 year mark from getting my mammogram recall, biopsy, and diagnosis, then comes the 1 year anniversary of surgery and treatment. All of which was faced as a project for me to  "get through".   But when I finished the treatment that's when the worrying started -  hopefully after the 1 year scan (in June) when everything is confirmed OK - i can start  to relax ...
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    I'm already worried and I'm not even though chemo or surgery yet. I keep thinking what if it's in the other breast and it can't be seen on the scans. Guess it's just natural to feel this way.
  • KathSe
    KathSe Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm almost 12 months post tnbc and I live in fear everyday and I hate it! Right now I have an achy hip and back which has been there since taxol finished  in January and has got no worse and doesn't restrict me in any way and I have myself convinced in worse case scenario. I have osteo arthritis and I know I had pain before diagnosis in those areas but still I keep going to that dark place! Has to stop!