Tailored My Journey Kit for men diagnosed with breast cancer

Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
edited January 2017 in Newly diagnosed
Last year, @Pauline_BCNA from our policy team looked into the gaps in information and support for men diagnosed with breast cancer and what BCNA (and others) could do to better support them. As part of this work, we spoke with men affected by breast cancer, including our online network members @traveltext and @Chester80$$, all of whom are passionate advocates in their communities. One of the main findings of this work is that men need information that is tailored to their specific needs and issues, which include the stigma of having what is often thought of as a "woman's disease" and feeling isolated or alone.

As a result of this project, we have made some important changes to the information we now send to men newly with diagnosed with breast cancer. In addition to receiving our My Journey Kit, men now also receive:
  • An introductory letter from @Christine_BCNA-CEO that is written for men
  • A copy of Professor John Boyages’ book Male Breast Cancer: Taking Control
  • A copy of BCNA’s newly-revised booklet Men Get Breast Cancer Too 
These additional resources will help to ensure that all newly diagnosed men will get access to information that addresses their specific concerns and needs.  

If you would like to learn more about this project and about the unique issues that men diagnosed with breast cancer face, you can read a report about this project here.

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Awesome work Pauline and the BCNA crew. We now need to somehow connect with newly diagnosed men to explain that the publications are available, and that the BCNA community has a place for men to discuss their diagnoses and treatments.
  • Pauline_BCNA
    Pauline_BCNA Member Posts: 14
    Thank you @traveltext. We couldn't have done this without the wonderful input of men like yourself. It is an absolute privilege. I'm happy to say that shortly we'll be promoting the new My Journey Kit additions for men, and our consultation report, via our Facebook and Twitter social media feeds. I'll keep you posted on this - it should be promoted early to mid next week. Best wishes, Pauline. 
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Amazing!!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    That is awesome and so nice to know that our brothers in BC are being looked after too. Xx
  • Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    Well done, BCNA!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Excellent 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Great work...always improving 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Wonderful work BCNA - doesn't matter about our gender, we all need the same support.
  • Chester80$
    Chester80$ Member, Dragonfly Posts: 13
    Thanks to all at BCNA for the amazing work they are doing to improve the education and awareness around MBC. The more people know the better the chances of an early diagnosis and better treatment outcomes. Well done Pauline for guiding this initiative....you are a true champion of the cause !!!