Turmeric - Golden Latte

stemi
stemi Member Posts: 34
Is anybody taking Turmeric and what are your experiences ?
Thanks.
stemi

Comments

• ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Hi there.

i am not taking it per se but I include it in my cooking. Mainly on my roast veg. Fresh or powdered. I try to use organic turmeric too.
  • Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    Hi Stemi, I take high dose turmeric for joint pain while I am on Letrazole. Have been on glucosamine for years, but the anti-inflammatory effect of turmeric really helps my aches.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited November 2016
    Hello,
    I also use it a lot in cooking. I know there has been some research that shows promise with regard to reducing inflammation and consequently cancer in the body. There are links to breast and bowel cancers. Nothing proven yet.
    However, I have found it very helpful in reducing pain associated with arthritis and Femara associated joint pain. I just today bought some Curcumin (the part of turmeric that is associated with helping reduce inflammation) capsules to try. I have read that the capsules are better than tablets. Personally I prefer to use the real thing as much as possible as I think the body naturally gets more from foods than supplements. However, the benefits I have experienced pain wise have meant that I am keen to try the capsules for days when I don't have turmeric in food form.
    Reading the bottle it also suggests that it can be helpful in maintaining healthy cholesterol levels and in relieving Irritable Bowel Symptoms. Will be worth a try to see if it gives me even more relief from the joint pain.  :)
  • stemi
    Hello Ladies,
    thank you for your comments.
    The last few weeks I had joint pain and aching muscles ... thanks to Tamoxifen.
    3 days ago I started now to drink one 'Golden Latte' a day ... the pain is nearly gone .. I was just wondering if Turmeric is working that quick ??
  • Deanne
    From my experience it is quick but also wears off fast too! Hence me trying the capsules today.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,428
    Anything that works is worth trying but be aware that turmeric is not recommended for anyone taking blood thinners (that may include aspirin!) or medication for diabetes. May also not work with regular use of antacids. 
  • stemi
    I'm just on Tamoxifen ... should be ok ?
    It's not a supplement I'm taking - it's just a kind of tea.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    As it is such a powerful anti inflammatory it is advised not to take while having chemo as it can interfere with the effectiveness of the drugs.
  • ccasper
    @Glemmis are you referring to high doses in tablet form? I have turmeric daily with food and my onc advised that anything in small amounts including vitamins are fine with chemo as long as it's not high doses. Every onc is different but mine seems fine with it
  • Deanne
    Every person's situation (other medications or conditions etc) can be different and I think the main thing is to run everything by your doctor just in case. My oncologist has said that usually things are fine in normal amounts too. She was fine with the vitamins I took during chemo. As for things that are food based, like soy and turmeric she has said that it would be almost impossible to eat enough to cause a problem. But always best to check.
  • ccasper
    @Deanne my onc said exactly the same thing. Maybe they studied together haha
  • Glemmis
    Casper & Deanne, I agree if your oncologist said it is fine then no problem. I was putting it on everything before chemo so she probably thought I was going to overdose on it. I also had been taking rescue remedy from a naturopath & she wasn't happy with that either saying it could have estrogens in it so I don't take anything at all at the moment. 
  • stemi
    @Glemmis ... are you talking about the rescue remedy drops from Bach ?
  • Glemmis
    Yes Stemi, my naturopath prescribed them to help me sleep but the oncologist advised against it in case they were estrogenic, I also avoid lavender products as well.
  • stemi
    Didn't know this about the drops and lavender ... will ask my onc next time. Thanks Glemmis.