Mirena IUD and hormone +Ve breast cancer

Options
KatyJoy
KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
Hi everyone. Just wanted to know if there were any similar cases to mine. I had a mammogram and ultrasound for an unrelated issue in 2012, both tests being clear. I was diagnosed with ductal ectasia (a benign breast condition). I had a mirena IUD inserted soon after this as I had heavy periods and chronic iron deficiency anaemia and my gp felt mirena would be a good way to treat this. I have now been diagnosed with IDC, hormone receptor positive. My oncologist recommended I have the mirena removed strait away as it is contraindicated in hormone receptor positive breast cancer, and I have had this done. Although I don't think the mirena caused my cancer, I wonder if it could have accelerated it? My tumour is large, estimated 9 cm, and I have proof it was not there before mirena inserted in 2012

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It's one of those things we would never know. Mirena is a progesterone producing product so it could effect  growth  if you had a PR+ cancer also. My breast cancer wasn't picked up in a mammogram 5 weeks before I felt a lump. it was probably there, in fact probably for years as dcis,  just not detected in annual mammograms due to my breast density. I figure we just can't really know anything for sure, and it can be exhausting worrying over something we can't change or even know for sure. I use the saying "eyes forward" it's what we do now that matters. Take care. Kath x
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Hi @primek, yes you're right, but if there is a link, it should be considered. For me I just have to deal with it and move forward. My IDC is strongly oestrogen and progesterone receptor positive, Her2-ve
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I suppose no different than HRT or the contraceptive pill...contraindicated if you have cancer but for the majority of women  it is  safe. I chose  to not have HRT due to family risk..and was possibly very lucky I didn't as my cancer probably started during peri menopause when the hormones are up and down. But I'll never know for  sure if it was or wasn't there when those scans were taken...and if it wasnt? Well..#$@! it was growing fast...and I was truly blessed it was near the surface of the breast and easily picked up. But...it is now gone...and hopefully never to return.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    I was supposed to have a Mirena fitted as my GP didn't want me on the pill after the age of 48. I however didn't have it as a high priority and kept putting it off as I didn't want to take the time off work so was still on the pill when I was diagnosed and as my BC was both EO+ and PR+ Dr told me to cease taking it. So never did get to try the mirena in fact still have the box in a drawer in my bedroom??? Bwahaha - I have no idea why I haven't thrown it out!!
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    I had a Mirena inserted for 7 years. It was great as previous to insertion my periods were unbearably heavy. After I had the Mirena I enjoyed what I considered to be 'normal' periods. I am HER2 positive, EO and PR negative so my BC wasn't down to the Mirena. It's hard not knowing for sure what caused my cancer. I don't dwell on likely causes as I will never really know. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Yes, anything that adds hormones is bad if you have cancer. I was on the contraceptive pill as it kept my periods regular. The doctor said get off it NOW as it was feeding the cancer and making it very aggressive. It did not however cause the cancer. That bit is a mystery.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    I had an early menopause (46) and took an HRT troche for the past 4 years until my cancer diagnosis.  It was strongly hormone receptive (EO 100%, PR 95%).  Like others, I wonder whether this caused my cancer.  I did IVF for 3 years too, so the high doses of hormones during treatment could also have had an impact.  I was very lucky in having a small 1.3cm grade 1 IDC picked up - thank God for routine mammograms!