Lymphoedema garments – anyone received a subsidy?

Annie Gayed
Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
edited November 2011 in General discussion

Hi all,

We know that for those living with lymphoedema, purchasing compression garments can be a costly exercise (not to mention that most people need replacements every 6 months!).

BCNA’s Policy Team is putting together a fact sheet for women living with lymphoedema, which will list all the state and territory subsidy schemes, that offer financial assistance towards the cost of compression garments.

We think it’s important that women know what to expect when considering a subsidy, so I’m calling on all women who have experience in this area.

Have you received a subsidy for compression garments? I would love to hear about your experiences with the scheme, including which state you’re in and what scheme you were covered by, how much paperwork was involved (and was it tricky to complete?), and whether you had to wait to receive the garments? …. And anything else you want to share!

Thanks for your help, and I’ll keep you posted on the progression of the fact sheet.

Cheers
Annie

BCNA Policy Officer

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

HiAnnie,  I haven't received any subsidies.  I got some reimbursement from my health fund.  I was actually told by the lady selling me the sleeves that if I purchased two at a time then I would get a higher rebate from my medical fund - and I did. XLeonie

• Jenny Wrenn
    Jenny Wrenn Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015

Hi Annie, I haven't purchased any compression garments but it has been recommended that I obtain long-sleeved tops.  Information I have received suggests that there may be some on the market which are not as expensive as Skins - my question is - Has anyone any knowledge of such garments, brands and stores where they can be purchased?  Any help would be appreciated. 

• Jenny Wrenn
    Jenny Wrenn Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015

Hi Annie, I haven't purchased any compression garments but it has been recommended that I obtain long-sleeved tops.  Information I have received suggests that there may be some on the market which are not as expensive as Skins - my question is - Has anyone any knowledge of such garments, brands and stores where they can be purchased?  Any help would be appreciated.