Bone fractures

Options
Jane221
Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing
They do say breast cancer is the gift that just keeps giving and I was rudely reminded of this over the weekend when I ended up having surgery to two broken bones in my forearm which were the result of a fall and my reduced bone strength due to chemo-induced menopause.

After treatment finished in 2013 I was diagnosed with osteopenia (borderline osteoporosis) and have been staying on Tamoxifen rather than switching to Arimidex as I was concerned about further bone loss but am now wondering whether I will need to have one of the bisphosphonate drugs as well as my regular Vitamin D, exercise etc to help with this issue. My last bone scan about 18 months ago had shown that the osteopenia had stabilised and I was feeling optimistic that it was being managed. This latest episode has left me feeling physically and emotionally battered and I do wonder sometimes if I can ever really put this stuff behind me.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Have you an oncology appointment soon? After the fracture has healed it would certainly be something to consider. They may want to do a follow up bone scan. Take care. Kath x
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Like all medications there are pro's and con's which your Dr should discuss with you.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Bone density is something that has recently become an issue for me. I have never broken a bone but with my density falling into osteoporosis measurements (spine only, hips and forearm ok) my breast surgeon suggested Prolia. It concerns me that they do not really know what the long term issues of staying on this drug could be. I decided to investigate other avenues to address this problem first.

I am now attending supervised classes at an osteoporosis clinic in Brisbane. We do weightlifting, strength and balance exercises to improve bone density AND reduce the chance of falling and fracturing a bone. 

They also have a dietician who checks your diet and they educate you about bone health. I am learning that research is showing that bone needs to be challenged with different and increasing exercise in order to stimulate new growth. If you just do the same exercise all the time (like walking for 30 minutes for example) then your body and bone becomes used to this and it stops being enough to stimulate the new growth.

Just two 45 minute classes a week where we use increasing weights that target the muscles of the back is improving bone density for those attending the clinic. It is actually much more fun than I thought it would be and very inspiring to see everyone progressing and getting more confident and stronger.

I am hopeful that these classes will help me without having to resort to medication which may have some serious side effects. Will see what my scan says in a few months time. Fingers crossed. 
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    I am having a bone densitometry scan next week as 2 years ago I was osteopaenic and borderline green zone.  My GP refers me every 2 years, even before BC diagnosis.  Meanwhile I am having Prolia injections twice a year with good results measuring bone turnover.  I also contacted the Bone Clinic but need to know where things stand first.
    I hope you heal quickly, Jane, and Deanne - looking forward to hearing your scan results in a few months.
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Hi Jane how true this bc does keep giving. I recently had a bone scan and I received good results, my oncologist told me I have good bones. I'm on arimidex so I need to keep an eye on it. I also take caltrate with vitamin d.
    I hope your broken bones heal well, it is a never ending battle picking ourselves up and moving forward, sending you a hug xxx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Seems they fix one problem only to cause another....Chemo, early menopause and Arimidex a wonderful combination my Oncologist said that has caused my Bone Density to come back diabolical. I have been taking Vit D since December my levels are always exceptional, but done nothing for bone health. I am now on 2 injections of Prolia a year. I so want to do a clinical pilates and strength training desperately, but working 3 days a week and being a single parent I am so spent barely coping...there is no time or energy. Hoping something gives so I can stop working for a while and rebuild...it honestly feels thats what is needed. 

Jane hang in there, it really feels like it will never end I totally agree...and people wonder why it is a roller coaster of emotions, you really get sick of explaining so I dont bother anymore. I live for me...lol x
  • Jane221
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Kath, I'm not due to see my oncologist until February as I've only recently seen her and thought we could get away with a 6monthly, rather than a 3 monthly appointment, guess I'll need to see her again soon - best laid plans as they say! Deanne, thank you for the info on your local osteoporosis clinic, sounds good and I hope we have something similar on the Central Coast, I'll look into it. Thanks also for your good wishes Michelle, Rowdy and Melclarity, I have been feeling particularly down and fragile over the past few days as this particular accident has come at a very stressful time in our family's life but I guess all I can do is try to keep moving forward xx  
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hope things settle for you soon and that your arm heals well. It is so hard when everything happens at once. I have had a friend and my sister both break ribs recently - no bone density issues for either of them, just bad luck. A broken bone does not always mean you have a problem with your bones so fingers crossed for you. Take care. Sending hugs. xxoo
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hope you get better soon Jane.

Nadine
  • Jane221
    Options
    Thanks Deanne and Nadi for your good wishes. Feeling bit more on top of things today. My dad is in ICU at present so this could not have come at a worse time.