Exercise and Cancer

positive3negative
positive3negative Member Posts: 323
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

The beautiful woman that gives my my oncology massage recommended this Catalyst program to me yesterday. I'm sharing it here because I think it's one of the most significant pieces of research I've seen. Short version:

* Exercising during chemotherapy can enhance treatment and prevent muscle loss
* Exercise has proven benefits to treatment
* Exercise can help to fight cancer and prevent recurrence

There's a sensible warning at the end of the program; anyone currently under treatment should speak to their doctor and see an exercise physiologist before embarking on an exercise program. Probably also a good idea for anyone with post-surgical issues or reconstruction. 

I highly recommend watching the whole program. 

Love to all.

Meg

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4459555.htm

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited June 2016

Hi Meg,

Just watched the whole show and you are right - very significant program and results!

The range of exercises surprised me, as I had been relying on cardio mainly and doing very little resistance training.

Will now check out an exercise physiologist locally and see if they can design a program for me.  The drop in recurrence figures is a great motivator.

Enjoyed your latest blog - stay well - thanks for sharing this link.

xx Michelle

• prudencerose
    prudencerose Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2016

I also saw this and thought it very interesting. My oncologist also alluded to the benefit of exercise. Last night's program was about the relationship between stress and cancer' s spread: also interesting and the benefit of exercise in reducing stress makes it even more important.

• positive3negative
    positive3negative Member Posts: 323
    edited July 2016

Hi Michelle, 

Thanks, as always, for your great feedback. It's made me re-think my exercise too. Like you, I'm going to get some professional advice. There is no upper limit to how well we can be.

Meg
    XX