Losing weight.

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited May 2016 in Health and wellbeing

A little background of my weight. In my 20's I was 58 to 59kg which upon looking a past photos taken of me was a bit on the thin side so obviously that's not a good base weight.

Just before the BC news I was 82kg. I had been up a high as 88kg but that was a post Christmas weight and didn't stay long. 88 is absolutely not my good base weight.

When I got the BC news my weight dropped 4kg basically from stress to 78kg. Post op I was 76kg and during 3 months of chemo it basically drifted from 75 to 77kg which I figured would be my normal weight range.

This morning I weighed myself pre breakfast and I was in the 73kg range with it just making 74kg after breakfast. Is it normal to be still dropping weight 6 weeks post chemo? I have not returned to my full fitness exercises yet pre cancer but I am eating more salads and fruit than takeaway rubbish foods. Not complaining as I like my slimmer self but I am worried as to why its still dropping.

Comments

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2016

Hi Brenda, it may be just the change in diet, or if your appetite hasn't returned fully yet these could contribute to some weight loss but if you're concerned and you keep losing weight I would suggest seeing your oncologist to have a chat.

My weight didn't really pick up until some time after chemo (was still having Herceptin for a further 7 months) so it could be that your body is still adjusting. Jane xx 

• Fiona_BCNA
    Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2016

Hi Brenda5,

A healthy weight differs for different people. If you’re tall, you can be healthy at a heavier weight than if you’re short. One way of knowing if you’re a healthy weight is to weigh yourself and work out your body mass index (BMI). You can work out your BMI using the BMI calculator on the Department of Health’s website.

It is also important to realise that weight does fluctuate depending on hormone levels and different medical treatments. Weight gain is common after breast cancer diagnosis. Many women gain weight because of their energy intake is greater than the energy they expend. This can occur for a variety of reasons, including the onset of menopause; as a side effect of some breast cancer treatments; reduced activity levels because of fatigue, feeling unwell, lack of motivation; and changes in eating habits.

It is also important to note that your weight varies throughout the day. Not only does your weight change every day, it also changes at different times through a single day. This is because of body fluid fluctuations. To use the scale effectively, you should weigh yourself once a week, at the same time, on the same day of the week, wearing similar clothing. Weight can also about more than a number and you know your body best, if your clothes aren't fitting the same, or your fitness levels have changed these too can be good indicators.

I hope this has been of some help, if you would like more information please let me know.

All the best,
    Fiona (Team BCNA)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited May 2016

Hi Brenda,

Sounds lie you're making smarter food choices now, and it's a great idea to give yourself food that is nourishing, I call it natural vitamins. I agree with Jane about not losing too much too quickly.

Glad that your chemo is done, sending you a big cuddle, Trace ????????

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    edited May 2016

Hi Brenda, was very interested in your post. I'm only 5ft tall and started treatment at 63kilos. During chemo 6 months in total, I now weigh 57 kilos. I think I lost most of it when I had a bout of shingles. I have gone down two sizes in clothes. The oncologist and the GP seem to think it is muscle loss that I have lost. It particularly it  shows in my legs (  I do like the weight I've lost but was or am concerned) We have always eaten healthy but my hubby said I'm not eating as big a meal as I use to. And I have had no alcohol since last November! I used to enjoy a white wine but it now tastes awful.

My GP has just organised a 'care plan' to an exercise physiologist. The idea is to build up the muscle again.

take care, always enjoy your posts.

Anne-Marie ??