Headgear

primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
edited April 2016 in Health and wellbeing

When I started my cancer journey I was determined I would wear a wig when the time came. I've  not worn it once. I hate it, it just feels too artificial.

I bought some fabulous cotton caps. .as it was very hot when I started and had a number of cotton and bamboo scarves. I have found the hats feel too snug...and are just too hot. The scarves are like this for me too...I just come over really hot and have to take them off. At home I go bald unless get too cold and pop one on.

I recently bought some loose knitted hats and have found them cooler than the caps and the scarves as not so tight on my head and allow more airflow. Has anyone else found this? Anyone got any other tips how to keep your head cool but covered?

Comments

• Lindyloo
    Lindyloo Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2016

I was the same as you, never wore my wig once. I also walked around at home bald, it was nice to feel a breeze haha. I spoke to a lady once while having radiation, and she was wearing a bamboo hat. She said it felt cool all the time in it and given we live in Perth and were getting 40 degrees days at the time, it must be worth looking into.

now five months after chemo and with my curly grey hair beginning to come back, I realise I actually didn't mind my scarves. Certainly easier to get ready in the morning, no hair to wash and blow dry!!

i hope somebody can help you out, in the mean time, good luck with your treatment.

linda xx

• Missindependent
    Missindependent Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016

I've been the same, I work only part time but on major sporting events, many outside and in summer so overheating was a problem. For me a wig was not something I even bothered with from the beginning. I have a range of cotton scarves designed for chemo patients, as well as a heavy lace one and some tube scarves which cyclists often wear. The tube scarves were great especially on the hottest days as there isn't much to them and you can change the style easily plus wear under a cap as they're quite thin. I also made my treatment very public as I work on cycling events which are very public, so hiding what is was going through wasn't really ever a consideration either. I also shaved my head as soon as the first bit of hair started falling out. Almost six months on now and I'm glad I didn't bother with a wig. 

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2016

I'm just popping in to share a resource :-)

Wrapunzel is a US-based blog dedicated to headwraps. Its founder, Andrea, wraps her hair for religious reasons, but the blog has attracted women affected by breast cancer (and women like me who just like headwraps). Once you find the right fabrics to keep you cool, I recommend you go check it out for a little inspiration. There are a lot of photo and video tutorials.

• DoubleD
    DoubleD Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2016

Hi.

I tried wearing headscarves and caps and even had a wig but gave up and just showed off my bald head! To be honest nobody seemed to care and I was so much more comfortable that I felt better too. So you could just brace your new look!

• buzzine
    buzzine Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016

I to had a wig and never wore it, I made myself cotton head scarfs, and wide head bands.I also watch lots videos on how to do the head wraps using normal scarves. I'm in WA and bought cheap $7 scarfs at K-mart,after finishing chemo 4 months ago,and radiation a month ago.I have a full cover of very short grey curly hair now, and I'm very excited to be going to the hairdressers for first time in 11 months for colour and cut.

Good luck with your journey,

Janine xxxx

• primek
    edited April 2016

I was mindful of the risk of sun exposure,  which is why I have persevered with the headgear when goibg out.

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    edited April 2016

Hello, yep I also purchased a wig and don't wear it very often, just doesn't feel right.

I have a beautiful friend who has been crocheting with cotton tread, little caps and beret type hats too. I am wearing them everywhere.  Every week I go up for chemo I take her lovely hats up and hand them out. Also my 92year old mother-in-law  is making berets and caps too.  The ladies love them. I even gave a dark green one to a wonderful young man(17 years old) having chemo and he love it. 

A friend gave me one from the cancer council shop (I know it was dear) but it has loops round the boarder line and I can tread different colour scarfs through. 

I had very thick dark(coloured) hair and I miss it so much. I have decided not to put a colour in, personal choice. Hope my family and friend are ready for the change both in my appearance.......and myself!

take care dear special lady. 

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2016

Hi,I felt the same as you,then a friend gave me a bamboo turban wrap.It was THE BEST!!!! I think they are available from the cancer council online shop.They are quite expensive,round about 60 or 70 dollars,but they are FANTASTIC.You can wash them all the time and they dry so quickly.I never bought another one,I just made do with the one I was given.Give it a try.Cheers Robyn xox

• gurneys
    gurneys Member Posts: 224
    edited April 2016

I would be interested in knowing where you found the loose knitted caps. I have been looking for some too, opting for those over scarves and wigs, but can't seem to find any.

x-S

• primek
    edited April 2016

I got them from Cheap as Chips for about $8. I have pale pink and watermelon. They have grey and black also. I have a heavier one in purple for winter with a pom pom...when really cold.

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited April 2016

I decided not to go down the wig path.... I bought some cotton caps, and a winter weight cap and a sun hat from beau chapeau  headwear.... I also wear a cotton bandana for everyday use (pictured). I also rio it off in the car on the way home! I can't stand it.... When I'm home I go bare... 

unfortunately i don't think there is a way to keep your head cool! You lose heat from your head and you notice it more with no hair! 

Cotton is probably most comfortable ... 

• primek
    edited April 2016

Where did you get your bandana from?

• donnafischer
    donnafischer Dragonfly Posts: 144
    edited April 2016

I'm shedding my hair badly. Have decided not to clipper it as its falling out pretty evenly so holding on till it gets too think. I have booked into the wig library to try on some on Thursday. I've got LOTS of scarves that friends have given me, and I've got some soft hats and some straw ones i'll wear over soft caps. I guess because winters coming I'm thinking about keeping my head warm. Will follow this post with interest :)

• primek
    edited April 2016

I found my hair got very flat and looked unstyled...I guess because the professional layering was disturbed. With each chemo more falls out also. Enjoy your experimenting with scarves and wigs.