Encore

Jane221
Jane221 Member Posts: 1,194
edited February 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all,

Have been feeling sluggish and a bit flat recently and decided that I needed something to get me moving and hopefully get me feeling a bit more positive and energetic, so this week I have returned to the YWCA Encore program running in my local area.

For those of you who don't know about Encore, it is a free 8 week exercise and wellness program specifically designed for women with / who have had breast cancer. The program is run once a week with qualified trainers and consists of gentle land and pool-based exercises as well as information and activity / hands-on sessions on lots of different topics such as nutrition, lymphodema, dragon boating, yoga and drumming. It's also a great way to meet other women who share a common bond despite all our varying experiences. Encore run programs in lots of different locations Australia (www.ywcaencore.org.au/about-ywca-encore/find-ywca-encore-programs) and you just need a doctor's clearance to participate. 

I previously had attended the program in 2013 while I was having treatment and it was a great way to improve mobility (in my arm particularly), do some gentle exercising that helped alleviate some of the side effects and meet some lovely people outside of the usual hospital / doctor surgery settings :-) Am looking forward to taking part again this year and can't wait to try the drumming!

Cheers, Jane xx

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited February 2016

Thank you for sharing this with the group. I hear it's a fantastic program.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    edited February 2016

I checked the site for Victoria. "There will be no Encore programs available in Victoria before June 2016".

I will check again as it sounds like a good idea.  Thanks for this

Take care

• Jane221
    edited February 2016

Hi Ann Marie, it's a great program and I got a lot out of it last time so hoping this time will be just as good :-) Jane xx

• Jane221
    edited February 2016

That's a shame there's not one before June. Can you register for it now though as they need to send out enrolment forms and a medical clearance form for your doctor to sign? Hope you enjoy it as much as I have 

Best wishes, Jane xx